Avoiding huge grease fire smoking skinned pig?

Coldholler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started a thread in May looking for advice on burning/scalding/skinning. Here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246237

I got some great advice but now need some regarding the cook. I've smoked lots of pigs and lots of butts but never a skinned hog.

I did it - I skinned it -- I had to freeze it (long story) and now will have to defrost it and cook it. Figure it'll take two or so days in 40d ice water to defrost, then will cook smoke it at 250 for 8-10 hours.

I'm worried about a massive grease fire as all that exposed fat drips onto the angle iron heat shield above my 48" long gas burner. Thinking I'll trim some more of it off but it's summer time and minutes count. Then, I can set it over lots of shallow tin pans to catch the grease -- maybe I can ladle it out before it runs over. I can overlap some foil over their rims to cover gaps. Thoughts? Anybody have experience with that, positive or negative?

Pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvALrlUtbOkOF9FSmdhWGo1alE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvALrlUtbOkdWI4OHktSzE5eVk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvALrlUtbOkQnhYVU45OHdBNzg/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Quick thought -- maybe if I turn off the gas before opening and checking the meat, then igniting it again before immediately closing it, I can avoid this. I don't think I've ever had a big flareup until opening the top. Maybe just don't open it with the gas on.

My firebox is in the back and is too far from any grease to ignite it. Safety protocol always is to light the gas with the top open, because of it though.

I agree with John. With your set up, I'd use pans if possible, drain as needed. Good job on the skinnin'! Also, nice collection of knives. :-D:thumb:

I agree with John. With your set up, I'd use pans if possible, drain as needed. Good job on the skinnin'! Also, nice collection of knives. :-D:thumb:

Thanks! I will use the pans. I'll also take pictures of the whole shebang and report back in a new post. See y'all in a couple of weeks!

OK - since I skinned, butchered, skinned, and froze it already -- next Wednesday, I'll move it out of the freezer and into a cooler full of ice water that I'll keep at or below 40 degrees for 3 days. I'll smoke it Saturday, putting it on around 4am for a 12 hour cook at 250.

Still wrestling over the pan idea -- here's my remaining dilemma -- with all the skin off and all that fat exposed, there's a great chance for a huge grease fire from the burner 17" below. There's a firebox on the back for smoke but that doesn't pose a threat.

I think I'm going to use three 18/20" hard aluminum baking pans with wire reinforced rims immediately under the pig to catch the grease, and I'll interrupt the cook to ladle as much of it as possible out of there. Of course if that "backfires" and ignites up there on a level with the pig then I'll REALLY have problems. Also, I'm not keen on boiling the pig in it's own grease. I'll have to elevate it on wood slats. Away from a direct source of flame, will they burn at 250? Should I use oven grates over the pans, instead of oak slats?

OK - since I skinned, butchered, skinned, and froze it already -- next Wednesday, I'll move it out of the freezer and into a cooler full of ice water that I'll keep at or below 40 degrees for 3 days. I'll smoke it Saturday, putting it on around 4am for a 12 hour cook at 250.

Still wrestling over the pan idea -- here's my remaining dilemma -- with all the skin off and all that fat exposed, there's a great chance for a huge grease fire from the burner 17" below. There's a firebox on the back for smoke but that doesn't pose a threat.

I think I'm going to use three 18/20" hard aluminum baking pans with wire reinforced rims immediately under the pig to catch the grease, and I'll interrupt the cook to ladle as much of it as possible out of there. Of course if that "backfires" and ignites up there on a level with the pig then I'll REALLY have problems. Also, I'm not keen on boiling the pig in it's own grease. I'll have to elevate it on wood slats. Away from a direct source of flame, will they burn at 250? Should I use oven grates over the pans, instead of oak slats?

The problem with the baking pans is that there will be some room for grease to slip through the cracks. And if you spill some during the ladling process, that's not good either.

My inner MacGyver* says to cut up several aluminum deep roasting pans to shape them into a big roasting pan. Cover it with several layers heavy foil so nothing gets out, and then reinforce it underneath with a piece of sheet metal.

Then you won't have to worry about ladling mid-cook.

*If this fails, blame my inner MacGyver. I'm the kind of guy who sets his shirt on fire using an angle grinder and doesn't notice.

The problem with the baking pans is that there will be some room for grease to slip through the cracks. And if you spill some during the ladling process, that's not good either.

My inner MacGyver* says to cut up several aluminum deep roasting pans to shape them into a big roasting pan. Cover it with several layers heavy foil so nothing gets out, and then reinforce it underneath with a piece of sheet metal.

Then you won't have to worry about ladling mid-cook.

*If this fails, blame my inner MacGyver. I'm the kind of guy who sets his shirt on fire using an angle grinder and doesn't notice.

We're thinking similarly for sure. Thinking of overlapping the baking pans, like a pyramid. A little spillage probably wouldn't be a problem. I've done 80+ pounds of butts without any big flareups. The BIG problem would be if the grease up in the pans caught. Not sure how that would happen but it would be a big fire. I can turn off the gas and source of heat while ladling and re-ignite before closing it again. Thinking the pans would serve as the skin does when it's intact, holding in the rendered fat. I usually pierce the skin under the ribs on both sides to drip onto the grease guard over the burner below, and that burns off as it goes without accumulating too much. Pans will get all of it, though. At 250, they could become huge reservoirs of boiling grease. Thinking of ladling it out and mopping with some throw-away towels.

I like John's idea too.
If you place the pans end to end, you can connect them together by using foil. Just foil the ends of two pans together. The drippings will go into one pan or the other.
Definitely go with oven or grill grates if they fit.
Good luck to ya!

you might be able to get a drip pan out of a large animal pen at a feed store that would cover the area needed. I've got one out of a rabbit pen I use to drain cars into at work. The thought of all those cut up pans with foil over them gives me the willies.

Back