THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My comments would be:

1. Buy or build some sort of rack for hanging meats.

2. I don't use a diffuser

3. I used my lower rack so little I removed the hardware. The biggest hassle was rotating meats, so I either use the upper rack, or hang meats. It's shocking how much meat you can hang.

4. I use a 12" long stem thermometer since the center of the drum can be higher than the temp at the edge, and I mounded mine below the cooking grate.

I too am on board with all 4 of Thirdeye's suggestions. If you find you really do want the second cook grate, very easy to add later.

I only use a diffuser (about 12" dia.) When I use my 2nd rack. I've got a domed lid so my top rack is about 2" from the lip and second rack about 10" down from it.
I use a slider intake from a bge and the exhaust is in the domed lid.
Sorry for the gratuitous photo!!!
Paul B

Attachments

• DSCF5295.jpg
    DSCF5295.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 58
I'd rather build 2 UDS than have one UDS with 2 racks. Rotating grates with hot meat is no fun.

Don't use 4 studs for your grate supports: If you don't drill them dead nuts level- they will wobble. Do 3 studs - no grate wobble even if you are off quite a bit.

Back