Need advice

cstalls

Found some matches.
Was just wondering what temperature to grill a beef tenderloin and for how long I have my first competition coming up

I'm guessing you are talking a whole tenderloin?

I'd grill it in the 350-400 range to an IT of 130-135 at most, rest and slice. Cooking time depends on how big/thick the tenderloin is, but it certainly would't be a long cook.

KC

If you want a consistent edge to edge color, keep you chamber temps below 250ish. 225 wouldn't hurt. If you want this but still want a bit of a crusty edge, pull at about 120 and let rest for a bit, then do a reverse sear on an insanely hot grill or pan.

20141217-tenderloin-roast-recipe-food-lab-primary-thumb-625xauto-417109.jpg

If you want the outer edge of the meat to be more done, go with a higher chamber temp like 300 or more.

image.axd

If you want a consistent edge to edge color, keep you chamber temps below 250ish. 225 wouldn't hurt. If you want this but still want a bit of a crusty edge, pull at about 120 and let rest for a bit, then do a reverse sear on an insanely hot grill or pan.

This! ^^^^^

IMO, reverse searing is the way.
With just a hint of hickory for smoke, fuse method looking 190-200F cooking temp.
Pulled off at 124F foiled and rested.
No carry over will occur due the low cooking temp.
When you need start the searing action 1-2 min each side.

These photos of perfectly cooked meat are amazing from both cooking and photography perspectives. If you too them, D9, well done.

I wish I could, but I can't take credit for the cook or the photos. I grabbed them off of Google Images to illustrate what I was talking about.

Back