Hold off on the spray, the fat will save you!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've noticed with ribs whether it's baby back or St louis, if you don't spray after the 3-hour mark... the fat will come in and save that dry meat just hold off! Don't spray the meat! Just let it cook let it build up the crust!

#JustSayNoToWrap!

Like this?
49b399a6ea2385dc3d427ff868d068d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So we're almost on the 6-hour mark and my internal temperature is around 165. I'm trying to get it to 203 dot I can't believe these ribs are taking this long. we've been cooking consistently at 250°.

So we're almost on the 6-hour mark and my internal temperature is around 165. I'm trying to get it to 203 dot I can't believe these ribs are taking this long. we've been cooking consistently at 250°.

After 6 hours, they have not tendered up? Calibrate your toothpick. :mrgreen:

If you don't like spraying, try brushing on some warm lard after hour 2, it's a save the day shortcut.

7IsLL.jpg

After 6 hours, they have not tendered up? Calibrate your toothpick. :mrgreen:

If you don't like spraying, try brushing on some warm lard after hour 2, it's a save the day shortcut.

7IsLL.jpg

I don't know why but with the WSM cooking St Louis and not wraping those ribs take a long time to cook. they have been cooking consistently at 250° for the past 6 and 1/2 hours and it's just now starting to get a good bend. yes, I could eat them right now but they're not at the temperature that I like

Yeah tried the no wrap last weekend. Not even close to my wrapped ribs. Glad you like them unwrapped. You do you but I will never waste another rack that way. Oh and 6 hours?!? Yikes!

Last edited:
If you've had a rack of st louis ribs in a cooker at 250F for 6 hours, they should be falling apart. I'm guessing the thermometer isn't at grate level, isn't accurate, and/or you are opening the cooker far too often, thus extending the cook time by a large amount. BTW, one should never try to cook ribs to temp. Bend test, toothpick test, bone twist test. Ignore temps. There is really no need to even open the cooker as you can hear the ribs sizzling away, then they will start to get a little quieter when they are about done. This will also be around the same time the pig honey has risen to the surface. You can search this forum for Pitmaster T's weeping ribs method. He did it with a much larger cooker, but it still works great on WSMs or even weber kettles.

Back