Toughest category

Once we figured chicken out, it became our most consistent. Not always are best, but I can count on a score in the 170's. Pork has been better, brisket is okay, but I am still struggling with my flavor profile. Personally, for me, I suck at ribs (at least at comps) - that said, I cook the same recipe as my brother and he kills ribs every time out.

In my 18 comps chicken has been my problem. I've won in all 4 categories but the chicken results are way lower than the other 3 categories. And my recipe is from a class base on one of the best chicken cooks in the country, it's all about execution.

In my 18 comps chicken has been my problem. I've won in all 4 categories but the chicken results are way lower than the other 3 categories. And my recipe is from a class base on one of the best chicken cooks in the country, it's all about execution.

Chicken is a very short cook, so the spices won't dissipate like they do on a long cook. This leaves more room to error on flavor.

Last edited:
Its funny that at home people rave about my chicken, but in Comps its my worst category. Not that I have a huge number of comps under my belt but chicken has proven to be challenging.

Need to remember that the folks you cook for at home are completely different that cooking for KCBS judges. They have an investment as your friend/family, and are slightly one sided. One of the biggest misconceptions, IMHO, is that cooks who get into comps, start because their friends, family just rave about how good the food is. They figure if its good enough for them, then the judges have to love it also. This is not a bad thing, but its needs perspective. That's how I started, and it took me a couple of years competing to figure that out......

In most cases, the flavors, heat, spices often conflict with what the cooler draggin, baggie carrying, holier than thou judges regard as "good" bbq (besides a free meal).

Many of the top comp cooks in the country, cook the absolute best "average" bbq to be successful, nothing really sticks out. Anyone who know me, knows what I'm gonna say next.....

"Competition BBQ is cooking for 6 people you don't know, 6 people you will never meet, and you have one bite to make them go "Wow, that's good 'que ""........

Now all that being said, Parsley is my hardest category, wish they would do away with all garnish, but that's not the KCBS way......

Last edited:
Mine is Pork - I maybe wrong but I think pork so many teams do well in and it is probably the tightest category because so many teams do cook good pork good.

Mine is Pork - I maybe wrong but I think pork so many teams do well in and it is probably the tightest category because so many teams do cook good pork good.

I think what makes pork a hard category, is because judges aren't properly instructed how to judge it. Chicken is the same way.

(I've not taken a judging class, but I've heard enough, and read the rules)

Chicken has the greatest chance to go sideways, your trying to cook 12 to 30 pieces of meat from 12 to 30 different animals and try to make each one identicle in size, shape, tenderness. The only plus is you get to control taste profile (mostly).
Ed

I would like to clarify my statement asserting "identical in size, shape"this is apparently strived for by most cooks, but nowhere in KCBS rules or procedures is it required and should be considered as such in assigning a score.
Ed

For me it is ribs.

Chicken is such a mild meat that truthfully competition chicken is all about the flavors you add to it.

Pork is similar. Although you do rarely get a flat tasting butt, since you have plenty of meat cooking two you can usually take what you need from the other butt.

Brisket has always come easy for me - I think most people overthink it and add too much stuff. Start with good quality beef and don't over season.

Ribs are so variable from animal to animal that I find it's often difficult to find racks with good flavor AND good bones. They are also the most expensive meat when you consider yield, so cooking a lot of racks in order to get really good ribs to put in the box can be a challenge to your wallet.

For me chicken and brisket are no brainers. I can consistently put the same thing in the box week in week out. It's just up to the judges. Getting calls is not as important as how I finish on my table. The worst cow finish was 25th out of 48 teams. But I was 1st on my table and the other entries were 41st and down. (Ya I've still got that burr in my arse over that).
After switching to a Jambo this year I can't cook pork worth a chit. Taking 3 classes in the next 2 months and a lot of practice to hopefully get that turned around.

For me chicken and brisket are no brainers. I can consistently put the same thing in the box week in week out. It's just up to the judges. Getting calls is not as important as how I finish on my table. The worst cow finish was 25th out of 48 teams. But I was 1st on my table and the other entries were 41st and down. (Ya I've still got that burr in my arse over that).
After switching to a Jambo this year I can't cook pork worth a chit. Taking 3 classes in the next 2 months and a lot of practice to hopefully get that turned around.

Your pork problem is a pit issue so give it to me.

Back