Need Help On a Cook Shack Vent Or Smoker Diffuser

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
I need your guys opinions on a vent for my new smoking hut or smoker ? I had a smaller hut for my Stump's Smoker awhile back and the exhaust escaping the stack going straight up burned the paint off the roof and want to avoid this with the new one . the roof on this one is a lot higher and I tried a flexible aluminum duct and worked but was very flimsy and had to be careful or it wanted to rip easily . I thought about trying a 6" master flow tee just to set on top of the smoker stack making it vent out both sides {like a Lang but bigger} and do you think it would keep the heat from going straight up in one spot or will it do the same thing but burn the paint off in two spots ? I do not want to cut a hole in the roof and vent it that way yet and extend the stack . I know you BBQ brothers can help me out and is the only forum I come to get opinions and answers , thanks in advance .

the new shack

DSCF6555.jpg

this is what I did with the flexible tube that work but will not hold up to repeat use

DSCF6617.jpg

this is what I am thinking about trying

e26186a4-3fd7-4af9-ab91-c20b934a7924_400.jpg

What about gutter down spout pipe? It's a little thicker but can be shaped.

What about gutter down spout pipe? It's a little thicker but can be shaped.

that is a great idea but the stack is 6" in diameter and I measured my gutter hole and there is no way it would bend that big unless they make bigger gutters and will look into that :wink:

Looks like you already have ridge vents & open gables so I'm going to assume you goal is to get smoke out without staining the undersie of the roof. A couple ceiling fans like Bludawg suggested would help and be a nice addition. You could also install a woodstove chimney but I would use at least 8" (intentionally larger than your 6" stack) and leave an air gap around the connection; that should help avoid changing the draft characteristics of your Shirley. You could even add an inline fan in the stack if you feel it is necessary.

I am going to buy a metal fan this weekend and hang it from the inner structure and see what happens and thanks for the suggestions . I do not care if the underside gets stained from the smoke just do not want the paint burning off on the bottom and the top like my other one did .

Looks like you already have ridge vents & open gables so I'm going to assume you goal is to get smoke out without staining the undersie of the roof. A couple ceiling fans like Bludawg suggested would help and be a nice addition. You could also install a woodstove chimney but I would use at least 8" (intentionally larger than your 6" stack) and leave an air gap around the connection; that should help avoid changing the draft characteristics of your Shirley. You could even add an inline fan in the stack if you feel it is necessary.

What he said:thumb: Seems like the best viable option.

Mount a street sign or some sheet metal on the underside of your roof. Leave a 1" gap between your roof and the sheet metal. This should be enough to insulate the roof paint from the hot smoke.

Back