Sweet addition that won't burn

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I added a small amount of honey to some apple cider vinegar just as a means to wet down some Q during cooking. That sugar burned pretty easily. Are there any sweet spices that do better in heat than others or is it just a matter adding it in the latter stages of a cook? Interested in adding something sweet to a rub without resorting to brown sugar, honey etc.

I add Turbinado sugar to rubs, it burns a little less.

In terms of mops, there is little value to adding sugar to a mop until you are within the last 30 minutes of the cook.

I add Turbinado sugar to rubs, it burns a little less.

In terms of mops, there is little value to adding sugar to a mop until you are within the last 30 minutes of the cook.

10-4 on the turbinado.

I've never found mopping during a cook to add anything to the results, maybe try your cook without.

Lately I've been cutting back on sugar in my rub, and adding a glaze at the very end when the meat is almost done. Leave it on just long enough to caramelize, then take it off before it burns. Do a search for Danny Gaulden's glaze for a real simple one, a little goes a long ways.

Mops shouldn't contain sugar. Sugar is just used in glazes towards the end of the cook. You can however use sugar for slow and low cooks. I believe the sugar won't start to burn until it hits around 270-300.

The honey wasn't added as much for mopping or even additional flavor. The vinegar combo was pretty tart so I just tried to cut it a little. Lesson learned as I will use water next time lol. Thanks for the comments.

Vinegar based stuff always seems more tart at first, but by the time you put it on some meat, especially while it's still cooking, it tames down considerably.

The honey wasn't added as much for mopping or even additional flavor. The vinegar combo was pretty tart so I just tried to cut it a little. Lesson learned as I will use water next time lol. Thanks for the comments.

you might consider white vinegar or cut the vinegar with water next time.

Back