Hunsaker smoker build

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been thinking of adding another drum cooker to my collection. I really like the single air intake on bottom of the Hunsaker drum cooker, so question is, with hole for air inlet in the bottom how much drippings and grease leak out on the ground. In my UDS builds I always have some form of liquid in the bottom after several cooks. I don't want to clean the bottom after every cook.
Has anyone ever had any experience with this or maybe I'm just over thinking.

Thanks

They have a pan that hooks on the rear axle brackets that catches all drippings. I foiled mine, and it collected all drippings.

You aren't over thinking it!

I've built 2 Hunsaker Clones and my teammate has the real deal and I strongly suggest a drip pan under the drum.

There isn't a lot of leakage, but it does happen, so be on the safe side. I use galvanized drip trays from the auto supply.

I throw a couple handfuls of dri-sorb in the bottom of the drum and it helps soak up the drippings. A bag from NAPA lasts forever.

The drum cooks moist and I usually just brush the absorbent around every time I pull out the basket. I coated all the fasteners on the bottom with Permatex High Temp silicone. (found out the hard way on the first build)

Here are a couple of the build pics: https://www.facebook.com/116187658462391/photos/?tab=album&album_id=843406092407207

I have built several uds and at least when I cook I've always had some drippings that was in the bottom of the drum, so natual thinking with hole in bottom,liquid will run "drip out". Thanks for the link to you build.

Back