WSM Probe Gasket - Anything better?

century

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Does anybody know of a third party part that would replace the probe gasket on the WSM? Mine keeps pushing in when I insert my probe for a cook. And it has to be one of the most annoying things to put back into place.

Anything on the market that can replace this on a more permanent basis?

Thanks

Emil

I just used a cut off wheel to notch the side of my cooking chamber a little where the lid fits. File the rough edges, it just needs to be big enough for the probes to fit without pinching the leads for the probes. The leads just lay in there and the lid fits over, no need to feed wires through the grommet and you can remove meat without having to pull the probe first.

Lid pulled out of the way to more clearly see the notch:
IMG_20160425_150511552_zpszhead2to.jpg

Lid in place:
IMG_20160425_150533648_zpsclheamid.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused. If you have a WSM, why don't you just buy probe grommets from Cajun Bandit or one of the other accessory companies. You shouldn't need to manipulate the gasket at all.

If you are talking about the silicon grommet.

IMG_0246_zpsrnb3cdgh.jpg

I've never had a problem with it and have a good 50+ cooks on the WSM, run 2 to 3 probes at a time. If it's installed correctly I don't see how it could be a problem, I'd give Weber a call and have them send you a new one.

In my smoker, I used a conduit cable connector. They are available at Lowe's in the electrical dept for a couple of bucks. It works great for my probes. I know that several of the better builders use this same product.

I use the silicone probe thingy all the time too without much effort. I really like it and love the fact I can just stick in my thermapen through the hole for a quick check.

Never had an issue with mine falling out. Are you sure it is seated correctly? It's a pain to get in there, but once in, it shouldn't fall out.

Mine cracked in the Texas heat, Weber sent me a replacement for free.

I will say that I will run my meat probe through the grommet, but the temp probe I just push it inside. As long as the tip gets over the area covered by the water pan, you should get the indirect temperature...

Back