Home Canned Bacon

Most impressive!
Thanks Blue! Hope you're having a great winter! :-D

Saw this on your blog the other day and think it is amazing. I have always been in to shelf stable foods (ya never know) and look for those foods that you like to have ready. But never considered bacon as one to use.
With that lower ambient temp you should get a little longer life out of it, maybe an extra year or two. But does BACON really stick around that long?

Great Cook!
Thank you Rick! Nice to see another fan of shelf stable food. :-D
You're right...bacon just doesn't last long! Lol
Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

This would never work for me on account of my "one for me, one for the jar" practices.
Also how in the world does anyone learn English when you use sentences like this..
"Here is how I can bacon" !!!!!
Ed
A couple of things....
The bacon is raw going into the jars.
I'm not an English teacher. I tend to relax around "friends".
Here's how I talk.
Here's how I type.
Here's how I can bacon.

Love it...and the shrimp appetizer...is icing on the cake!

Gonna copy that one.

Thanks! I used the bacon in scallion pancakes the other day. It cooks up so quick, I'm going through it fast. Lol

You are amazing Great IDEA
Thanks so much George! :-D

Well done Jeanie, now I am hungry at work and its not lunch time yet!

Thought for you, if one was to put something else in the jar, like a pepper, would the bacon absorb some of that flavor over time?

Well done Jeanie, now I am hungry at work and its not lunch time yet!

Thought for you, if one was to put something else in the jar, like a pepper, would the bacon absorb some of that flavor over time?

Thanks Craig! I'd FedEx a BLT to you if I could. Lol
Yes, the bacon would take on the flavor (and heat) of a pepper. :grin:

I finally get to use the pressure cooker that I bought my wife three years ago for Christmas. I may go bankrupt buying bacon.

Bacon for the apocalypse! :whoo: That really is amazing, Jeanie! I'd love to try that, but no 5 year shelf life necessary - I think it'd be on the shelf for about 5 minutes, if it ever got on the shelf in the first place. :oops:

Last edited:
Who would of thought to can bacon, why Cowgirl did. Thanks for sharing Jeanie.

IMPRESSIVE!!! :thumb: I asked my Aunt if she remembered canning sausage.She is 95.She said she did but did not remember the exact way they did it.She does remember that they topped off the cans(jars) with melted lard. The Older folks in the community says my Grandmother ( Aunt's mom) used to make the best canned sausage and homemade head cheese in the county.I wish I had those recipes/ methods at my disposal.

Never would have thought of doing this, but it is a really cool idea. The only canning I remember from my mom was when she threw a can of pears at me. Hit me right in the forehead and I remember the pear juice and a little blood dripping into my mouth. She had told me to simmer down and I didn't listen. Marvelous woman.

Never would have thought of doing this, but it is a really cool idea. The only canning I remember from my mom was when she threw a can of pears at me. Hit me right in the forehead and I remember the pear juice and a little blood dripping into my mouth. She had told me to simmer down and I didn't listen. Marvelous woman.

Our Moms may have been related! She was AWESOME! We need more like them today.

I finally get to use the pressure cooker that I bought my wife three years ago for Christmas. I may go bankrupt buying bacon.

lol That's great Rick! Hope it works out well for ya! :mrgreen:

Bacon for the apocalypse! :whoo: That really is amazing, Jeanie! I'd love to try that, but no 5 year shelf life necessary - I think it'd be on the shelf for about 5 minutes, if it ever got on the shelf in the first place. :oops:
lol Thanks Greg! I'll be set, if zombies take over the world! :grin:
I hear ya, it's hard to leave this stuff alone. I could eat bacon every day!
Hope all is well with you, Family and the hens! :mrgreen:

Jeanie, you never cease to amaze with your cooking ideas.
Thank you Marty. Very kind of you! :grin:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Who would of thought to can bacon, why Cowgirl did. Thanks for sharing Jeanie.

Thanks Bill! :grin:

IMPRESSIVE!!! :thumb: I asked my Aunt if she remembered canning sausage.She is 95.She said she did but did not remember the exact way they did it.She does remember that they topped off the cans(jars) with melted lard. The Older folks in the community says my Grandmother ( Aunt's mom) used to make the best canned sausage and homemade head cheese in the county.I wish I had those recipes/ methods at my disposal.

That's fantastic Hoss!! I bet your Grandmother, mom and Aunt made some amazing food!! I'd love to sit down with your Aunt and visit about canning and the old ways. I bet she is very interesting!:grin:

:laugh: Made me laugh! Thanks! :mrgreen:

Our Moms may have been related! She was AWESOME! We need more like them today.

:laugh:

Bacon in a jar!!! That was my birthday wish last year. Excuse me while I go and dry my tears.
You have an amazing talent and I am glad you are here to share it!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bacon in a jar!!! That was my birthday wish last year. Excuse me while I go and dry my tears.
You have an amazing talent and I am glad you are here to share it!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:laugh: Too funny Ron!
Thank you for the kind comment. :-D

Back