Franklin's BBQ Birthday Trip - MEGA PRON ALERT!

MidnightStokersBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Turned 40 this year and the wife got me a trip to Austin. I guess she is tired of hearing me talk about Aaron Franklin being the God of Brisket. I'm from KC and can cook a pretty decent brisket but my taste buds weren't prepared for this meat bliss.

It was a Saturday of a Texas football game so we were expecting an extra long line and we weren't disappointed. We got there at 8:15 and there were 50+ people in front of us. Wow. They did a great job managing our expectations including coming out multiple times to update our expected eating times as well as taking a mock order so that they could let some poor folks behind us know that there was a good chance they wouldnt get any food. We brought a cooler, some bag chairs and a case of beer. Turned it into a good ole KC tailgate!

2014-10-18092702_zps02d71369.jpg

2014-10-18092525_zps94279d17.jpg

Within an hour of arriving, they came around and took our mock order and told us that we would be eating about 3pm. That meant a little less than a seven hour wait. After everyone picked their jaws up off the ground, we settled in and got to know our new friends for the next few hours. They were almost exactly right as we approached the entrance right about 230. Once you get this close the line slows to a crawl!

2014-10-18123210_zps95bddde6.jpg

Approaching the counter

2014-10-18103935_zps13c082d2.jpg

2014-10-18122458_zps5a53a259.jpg

By the time you reach the counter, you almost cant take it anymore. The smells have been wafting through your senses for the last hour and your mouth is watering. There is no precut meat here...everything is cut to order.

2014-10-18130204_zps0bb63f5d.jpg

2014-10-18143924_zps5ba75287.jpg

2014-10-18144206_zpsf6f7e9e0.jpg

By the time they asked me what I wanted I couldnt take it anymore. I completely over ordered but I was fine with that. They ask you if you want lean or moist brisket which translates into flat or point. I chose 5lbs of point. They slice it in half long ways an then cut it just like the flat. I have never seen brisket so moist, tender and jiggly. They juice literally just pours out of the meat as they slice it...all this with NO INJECTION! I've got to think the PRIME extra fatty Creekstones are the reason. We ended up taking home about 3 lbs of brisket (hand carried onto plane) and I must say its almost as good as the day we ordered it. I ended up with 5 lbs of brisket, 1lb of sausage (killer) and a beef rib. The beef rib may have been the highlight of the meal for me. I had never had one and it was incredible.

I have never seen brisket this tender. It was barely holding together and overcooked for comp standards but man, this was sooooo good. Even the unrendered fat was completely edible as it was completely jello. Heavy salt and pepper taste to the bark which I loved!

2014-10-18150028_zps35dfbea9.jpg

2014-10-18150019_zps1f240b92.jpg

2014-10-18144448_zpsd3637b3a.jpg

After our meal, one of my friends mentioned it was my birthday and asked if they offered a tour. The server replied "It doesnt have to be your birthday for a tour. Come on back!" They took us into their recently constructed pit room (pits used to be outside in trailers) and I got a solid 10 minute question and answer with their pitmaster. Super nice dude and he didnt hide anything. I was in awe of the operation. This cooks 1100 lbs of meat every single day. Wow.

2014-10-18152711_zpsb39ae27f.jpg

2014-10-18152627_zps377cf04c.jpg

2014-10-18152543_zpsc9e6f117.jpg

2014-10-18152532_zps3ac6bd06.jpg

Those are Creekstone Prime briskets around 12-14 lbs. Not sure I have ever seen such thick flats. They cook them for 18 hours and dont wrap with butcher until they are done and ready to hold. They are held in those red warming cabinets near the counter until ready to slice. Again, according to the pitmaster, the only thing that is done to them is a mild trim and a salt/pepper rub.

He's got one (his original) that he is about ready to retire. For now, he still tends it outside in it's original trailer.

2014-10-18092426_zps301477e4.jpg

Here's the best part... Since there are so many people waiting for so many hours they have no choice but to let people come in before the restaurant opens to use the restroom. On one of these trips I was coming out of the restroom and there he was. Asked for a quick pic and he was more than happy to! We chatted for a bit, he asked where I was from and I made a comment about the Thermopen in his hand. "Every Pitmaster has to have one!" he replied. This moment made the trip. Will never forget it.

2014-10-18103440_zpsb54a3aba.jpg

Would I wait in line again. Absolutely. If you dont have fun in the line it's going to be a bad time. Bring some chairs and beers and make some new friends. There are MUCH worse ways to spend a few hours on a Saturday. You'll be handsomely rewarded when you reach the front of the line. Best brisket I have ever had. Hands down. Now I'm back in KC and will spend the entire off season trying to recreate that masterpiece of meat.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this post! My wife and I are planning our trip out there to hit as many places as possible but this is the place I want to go to the most!

I wonder how long it's going to take before his pitmaster takes out on his own? Because obviously Aaron isn't the one cooking the meat any longer. He's obviously trained someone else to replicate his product.

Wow, nice birthday present.

I am curious, in the following photo, are the "tags" to mark the grain?

2014-10-18152532_zps3ac6bd06.jpg

Looks like fun! I went last April and loved it. We didn't wait nearly as long (it was during the week, no game, etc.) and the food was fantastic. I don't see how people can grumble about waiting (usually comes from those who haven't done it) when all most folks are really doing is sitting on their butts and drinking beer - which I think is a good thing!

I think they only do beef ribs on weekends, so I missed out on that, but the sausage and brisket were incredible. Thanks for putting up those pix!

nice write up and sounds like a good trip. hope you hit up some other austin BBQ joints as well.

Thats for the sharing the photostory! Looks like you had a great time.

That is a great post and thanks for sharing the pics!
Someday I'll get down there....someday..

nice write up and sounds like a good trip. hope you hit up some other austin BBQ joints as well.

We were only there for 2 days and honestly, my gut could not take any more meat after the trip to franklin's. I almost ate myself sick. We had originally planned to hit up "La Barbeque" but didnt make it. This wont be the last trip to Austin. :biggrin1:

I wonder how long it's going to take before his pitmaster takes out on his own? Because obviously Aaron isn't the one cooking the meat any longer. He's obviously trained someone else to replicate his product.

I actually asked Benji (his general manager and the super smiley guy in the pitroom) if there was any bad blood between Aaron and John Lewis (used to cook for Aaron and now owns La BBQ) and he said no. That the feud was mostly created by the BBQ media.

Hmmm... Out of all that meat, only one little corner on each brisket might over cook? I think someone is pulling your leg, but we'll go with it. :mrgreen:

We were only there for 2 days and honestly, my gut could not take any more meat after the trip to franklin's. I almost ate myself sick. We had originally planned to hit up "La Barbeque" but didnt make it. This wont be the last trip to Austin. :biggrin1:

I'd love to hit La Barbecue one day. Next time you go, you might want to hit John Mueller's as well - just incredible all around. It's kinda like a big yard party with seriously killer food. I'm not too big on sauce, but I was drinking the sauce there like shooters by the time I left.

Thanks for sharing, those are great pics of the pit area. well done!

Hmmm... Out of all that meat, only one little corner on each brisket might over cook? I think someone is pulling your leg, but we'll go with it. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I dont buy that either. Can't really think what else a tiny piece of foil would do other than telling the slicer where to start cutting. If the foil is there from the start there will be no bark under the foil and will show them where the grain is.

I'd love to hit La Barbecue one day. Next time you go, you might want to hit John Mueller's as well - just incredible all around. It's kinda like a big yard party with seriously killer food. I'm not too big on sauce, but I was drinking the sauce there like shooters by the time I left.

If you go to LA BBQ go on Sunday. Someone told us that on Sunday's they have a FREE keg of Shiner for the people waiting in line. That wouldn't suck. From what I have heard, LA BBQ is run from a food truck and they have white carports up to shade people from the sun. Sounds like he wont be doing this long as his reputation has really taken off and I'm sure he'll be in a brick/mortar soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back