Why are these rib bones blowing out???

Membranes peeled as carefully as I can and 2 racks on at lower temps then my usual. 3.43lb on at 225 and 4.14lb on at 250.

OK.........back on topic. I've had worse days at the smoker that's for sure. Tried a couple fixes and here's what happened.

250 degrees

Hitting foil bone side

Nothing new here

Tight wrap

20 min in foil

40 min in foil

1 hr in foil far as they could make it

Not horrible and usable bones but temping at low180's again and a little (not a lot) tight. Wouldn't win but better. Just can't make it another 10-15 degrees that I need and keep the bones.

I'll post the 225 rack later as photobucket is brutal right now........one thing I did different was spray bone side with parkay multiple times in hopes of keeping some moisture/pliabilty in that area. Not sure it helped a bunch but it doesn't seem to have hurt.

Still can't seem to shake those blow outs starting mid rack right where I DON'T want them.

Ribs were foiled meat up and just flipped for pics

Any thoughts???.......Is this anything like your bone sides are looking like out of foil??

Thanks

Ready for foil (pan)

Checked at 30-60-90 min until bones started going

Tenderness was doable on a few bones but mid-heavy end still bit tight.

Some usable bones in each rack so not a total loss. Maybe a heavier rack at 225 today. I'm going to try that and some hotter cooks today with the extra attention to the bone side. I known I shouldn't HAVE to do this as apparently no one else does but until I figure it I guess I'm stuck.

Any feedback on the bone side looks throughout or pics of your ribs bone side when done for comparison would be cool......not sure why anyone would have those pics though LOL

Thanks

Could this be caused by applying to much rub to the bone side of the ribs?

Some good info on this thread but also leads to paranoia!! I have used the ETs with pretty decent results. Then someone chimed in here on page 2 about maybe the ribs were sitting in the brine too long and watch for floppiness. I have a comp this weekend and had the wife go pick up the ribs for me at walmart and they were all floppy but had some nice/straight looking bones. Label date was 6/4. Now I'm paranoid about taste, etc. lol. My last comp I had the meat guy bring out fresh cases and I picked a few racks from there. Should i be concerned about the flop??

I picked up a rack of ET ribs and I'm going to toss them on here shortly to try something new (to me) when cooking them. I will post results good or bad. Also, will be going by Atlasman's times and temps best I can gather from this thread. To be continued...

Last edited:
So, my thought behind this little test was simple. I wondered if the ET ribs, due to sitting in the brine for however long was softening the membranes and causing blowout trouble for some folks. I decided to test my theory. Oh, you aren't allowed to knock me for the ugliness of my ribs! I did not clean the grates or anything, I wasn't going for appearance, just the cook itself. And awwwaay we go!!!

Fatboy running at 275 per the guru with 4 gallons of water. I did not pull any membranes. Instead, I used a bamboo skewer and punched a bunch of holes on both sides of the bones where a bite would be taken and along the bone itself. Seasoned them up and put them on the middle rack bone side down for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, I took a temp of the ribs before foiling they were at 161-169 thin end to thick. Tightly foiled in the "standard" comp wrap but nothing on the bone side. I did notice one little bald spot during the wrap but this may have been there prior to cooking. Otherwise no popping yet. Back on the cooker meat side down.

Checking every 20 minutes after, for the first hour and taking temps and looking for possible blowouts:
171-180 thin to thick, no bones
186-196 thin to thick, no bones
193-201 thin to thick, no bones

After the first hour wrapped, I went to every 10 minutes:
199-204 thin to thick, no bones and per the toothpick ready to pull.

Now, without the membranes pulled, nobody would expect popping bones which was the case here. The real test is the bite. So, I sliced them up trying to feel for any difference in the cut. They did not cut any differently then ribs without the membrane.

I then proceeded to bite in to 3 different bones. Paying close attention to the ease of the bite, the mouth feel, the tenderness. Now, we have almost all bitten into a rib that had the membrane on it. Its tough, sticks to your teeth, can't chew it, and all that jazz. These ribs had NONE of it. I couldn't tell it was there, AT ALL!

Maybe my thought process has merit haha. I was surprised by the results and will be fiddling with this some more. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 147
With all of the testing that you've done with the E.T. ribs on their own, have you tried a side by side cook with a standard rack and an E.T. rack? If you've never had this trouble with a standard rack and have good success, I think it would be good to do one of those as a baseline with the only variable in comparison being the type of rack you're cooking in a side by side.

have you tried pulling the membrane after the cook? I remember seeing a restaurant on tv doing it that way. I've never done it myself.

Back