Beef shirt ribs help

bigreves

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Planning on doing some beef shorties this weekend. The big fat ones. Been seeing too many amazing pics of them lately, smokey and juicy, and decided it's time to give em a try. Was wondering if anyone had any tips that might help me out. Will be.doing them on a weber kettle. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!

To me they are one of the easiest things to cook. They are so fatty that it's nearly impossible to dry them out. Season how you like, and cook until probe tender. It's that easy.

I did some last weekend and went with just a simple SPOG after rubbing them down with a little olive oil....turned out FANTASTIC! The thickest ones took about 4.5 hours running at about 275

110D023F03_zpsmqhkhbqy.jpg.html]

I wouldn't use a sugary rub on them. The last ones I did ended up over caramelized and had a real chewy bark.

If you have the full plate of beef short ribs treat it the same way you treat a brisket.

I personally do a 50/50 by weight of course ground pepper and kosher salt.

Cook at 300-325 degrees till the color is where you want it (typically about 4 hour mark for me)

Wrap in foil or butcher paper, your choice. Then back on the cooker till probe tender between the ribs. Typically the 5.5-7 hour mark depending on what you wrap with.

Take off cooker and let rest for about an hour. Slice and eat.

as said above, keep the rub simple, no sugars. I like to cook between 275-300. There is a lot of fat to render. Be patient and do not undercook. Give yourself plenty of time.

Thanks guys...was planning a cook time of 8 hrs so I should be good. I got some sucklebusters SPG that I'll probably use. Gonna mix maple and red oak and aim for between 275-300 with the snake method. Appreciate the tips. Thanks again. I'll put a water pan in there also. I sometimes forget about it but I shouldn't.

Cook more than you need cause the left over meat is sooooo good.

I have a questions as well. I hope okay to post in this thread. I want to do some this weekend, but so far out of 3 stores all they have are the ones pre-sliced. I get 4 bones, but already separated. How would you go about doing these? My original plan was to get the rib plate together, and then smoke for 3 hours, foil with a little dark beer for an hour, then finish on smoker out of foil. With the already separated ribs will this still work?

I cook pre-cut ribs.

I like to cook 250-275, looking for about 190 to probe tender.

The last 1/2 hour, give or take a beer or two, I put them into an aluminum pan with a shallow bath of preheated beef broth, butter and Worcestershire sauce. Cover the pan with foil and just let them steam a bit on the smoker.

I pull the ribs and drizzle the pan sauce over them right before serving.

I have a questions as well. I hope okay to post in this thread. I want to do some this weekend, but so far out of 3 stores all they have are the ones pre-sliced. I get 4 bones, but already separated. How would you go about doing these? My original plan was to get the rib plate together, and then smoke for 3 hours, foil with a little dark beer for an hour, then finish on smoker out of foil. With the already separated ribs will this still work?

I had that same problem once - I asked the guy at my meat counter if he could get me a whole rack uncut - he went to the back & got a couple cryo-vacs, let me pick the plate I wanted. Don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks guys...was planning a cook time of 8 hrs so I should be good. I got some sucklebusters SPG that I'll probably use. Gonna mix maple and red oak and aim for between 275-300 with the snake method. Appreciate the tips. Thanks again. I'll put a water pan in there also. I sometimes forget about it but I shouldn't.

That's how I do mine. Last ones I did were spog'd & smoked with white oak & maple. You won't be sorry!

We like to use a porcini mushroom rub we make. This stuff is amazing and seems to make Beef - Beefier! If that is possible. Just happens MSD found some Prime back ribs on sale today and they are on the cooker right now.

View attachment 133712

View attachment 133713

We will wrap with fresh minced garlic and likely a little butter when we get the bark we want, then cook to probe tender. Maybe a little time back on the grill after wards.

Last edited:
I had that same problem once - I asked the guy at my meat counter if he could get me a whole rack uncut - he went to the back & got a couple cryo-vacs, let me pick the plate I wanted. Don't be afraid to ask!

100% this. If they have the trimmed up, pre cut, and smaller beef short ribs. They have the full plates in the back in cryovacs. The reason they won't put the full plates out is because most people wouldn't know what to do with them.

I always ask the people working the meat department if they have uncut/untrimmed ones and they come back with a cryovac that contains 2-4 plates in it and i pick what I want.

Beef short ribs are surprisingly forgiving. These got salt and pepper then smoked around 300-ish. No wrapping. Depending on the size they may take 4-5 hours. They're done just like when a brisket is done....probing tender.

Last edited:
You guys were right. I went back to the store today to get the short ribs, and asked the guy if he had some that were not already separated. He goes to the back and brings me two plates of short ribs. I bought both of them, even though I will only cook one this weekend along with some peppered stout beef. I guess I will freeze the other plate. I am looking forward to trying these out finally.

Back