Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

They don't scratch it and change the stock "brushed" look???

Just go with the grain in the stainless and you'll be fine. It doesn't take much to get it clean. 0000 steel-wool works great too, I use a little cooking oil on the steel wool.

That's why I asked about the scratching...SOS used opposite of the grain would seem to "scratch" it and make it look bad.

I'll try small spots on the top of the fire box door first and see..That's where the stains are from drippings.

Hence why I want to build / buy some sort of a drip guard.

Just make sure the SOS pad is wet.

My cooker is real dirty from the last two cooks. I'm going to clean it up real good before this weekend. We are having a couple dozen people over for our family Christmas so it needs to look sharp. I'll post up some before and after pics so you can see. It will look like new. I've done it many times.

I have the Mini and love everything about it. Before I ordered mine I studied and researched a couple dozen different pits for several months. Then I spoke with Chris Goodlander who is the owner operator of Lone Star Grillz. He assured me that I could get as good or better smoke flavor from his insulated cabinet as any stick burner. It took me a few cooks but I will say that he was absolutely correct.

The pros are listed repeatedly in the pages of this thread. If you are seriously in the market then you really should take the time and read it all. It is worth the time.

There are competitors out there that make great cookers. No one makes a better cooker than Lone Star. No other pit builder has better customer service than Lone Star. You deal directly with the owner and his wife. No middlenan dealers. That alone is worth a look at Lone Star Grillz but their product speaks for itself as well.

I'll say one more thing. While you are shopping for a cooker please look past the bling of some pits and into the actual construction of each builder's pits. Check out the materials they use. Check out the standard features. Watch the videos at lonestargrillz.com.

I have gotten past them bling........ Lol.... Looking at construction and such. What I am finding out is much of what you found out. I research the heck out of things also.
Thanks for the input.

Couple of question for advice.

Has anyone built / made a drip protector for their fire box door?? Kind of like what I've seen on some Humphreys cabinet pics?? Anyone selling them??

What is everyone using to get their Stainless Steal door to look new?? I've already dripped some on the firebox door and that crap is hard to clean off once burned on.

I would get a piece of aluminum flashing make 1 bend, stick a piece of magnet tape to the flashing and it should stick to the metal behind the fb door. If the top part of the fb door is metal it could stuck there. Just an idea. I made one for my cabinet but it has inset doors and it was easier to find a place to stick it. The magnet shouldn't hurt the paint unless it causes a gap in the seal. Might be worth a try and pretty cheap.

Sheesh, I disappear for a couple months and this wonderful thread finds it way to page 13...

I have asked Chris into making some sort of drip deflector for the firebox door. That was a while back. Might have to get back with him. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Three or four inch wide strip, bend enough to go under the gasket screws. No matter what, something is going to get dirty. I'd just rather it no be a big drip down the door...

Sheesh, I disappear for a couple months and this wonderful thread finds it way to page 13...

I have asked Chris into making some sort of drip deflector for the firebox door. That was a while back. Might have to get back with him. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Three or four inch wide strip, bend enough to go under the gasket screws. No matter what, something is going to get dirty. I'd just rather it no be a big drip down the door...

It has been over a year since I first talked to Chris about the drip shield. I even sent him a picture of how Humphries does it. I reckon he has just been too busy to come up with something.

Good to see you back Terry.

Wow! I can't believe I actually read this entire thread in the last week. I pulled the trigger on an LSG large IVS a couple weeks ago after a couple months of intense on and off again research. By the time I called to place the order, Chris pretty much confirmed what I had been looking for and reading this thread pretty much assured me that I likely would not have buyer's remorse!

I have been wanting an insulated smoker for a long time and when I finally came up on some income that allows me to buy one I initially thought "I'm going to get the most quality smoker $5 grand can buy" after all, you get what you pay for, right? So after going through the maze of smoker options (direct flow or reverse flow, stick burner or not, small or big,etc.) I happened upon LSG IV on this website, checked the LSG website out, and written them off becuase, initially, I did not believe this smoker could be as quality as some of the other smokers I researched due to LSG's lower price point. But all my research kept bringing me back to LSG. I settled on wanting a larger smoker - check. I wanted something with a larger fire box - check. I wanted a rock solid build - check. Most importantly, I wanted even cook temps with an ability to set it and forgot it - LSG appear to have that in spades! The fact that it is significantly cheaper than the vertical insulated smokers I was comparing it with quickly became a bonus for me! And when I realized that I could add all kinds of additional features and still come under what I was willing to spend, it became a no brainer! That and the customer service of course.

Its funny how I initially rejected this smoker. Nothing but purely objective research brought me back. And now, there is absolutely no doubt that I made the right choice! I can not wait for this smoker to show up in my drive way! Thanks for all the feedback on this thread. I have since called Chris and Amber twice during my readings to add additional features. The count down is 6 to 8 weeks now "give or take"!

- Large IVS
- Viper red custom paint
- 3 extra grate rails and grates
- SS handle on both sides
- SS side table
- 8" wheel upgrade
- Tie down rings and tow ring

I pulled the trigger a couple weeks before I read this entire thread. I'm glad that I chose LSG IVS. Now for the dreadful wait.

Options;

Viper red custom paint
3 extra grates and rails
SS handle on both sides
SS side table
8" wheel upgrade
Tie down rings
Tow ring
Heat deflector

Also looking at having some custom metal art put on too.

Thanks for all the feedback. This thread was definitely responsible for a few more options being added on!!!

Congrats Frogmand, you won't be disappointed. The waiting is the hardest part.

I just did a quick Google. Briquettes claim no starter additives, yet many, many complain about the smell / flavor.

I have no earthly idea

Kingsford, only Matchlight has a starter added to the briquettes.

It has been over a year since I first talked to Chris about the drip shield. I even sent him a picture of how Humphries does it. I reckon he has just been too busy to come up with something.

Good to see you back Terry.

We have experimented with at least 3 or 4 external drip guards and as many internal drop down guards and trust me when I say if they were any better than the current set up we would have implemented it.

External drip guards- because they are connected to the door from the inside or the the body of the smoker they still get warm or hot and any drips will still need to be wiped of or cleaned just the same as if it were to get on the door so no difference or advantage there.

Internal slide out or fold down guards are more problematic because they get in the way or are not large enough to capture all that drips out of the box.

Aside from wiping up as you go along the best solution we have seen or done is to take aluminum foil tuck it behind the fire box door, close the door to hold it in place, then fold it down to protect the door while cooking. I know this isn't the sexiest solution nor does it provide us with an additional item to sell but at the end of the day its the best solution, its easy, everyone can do it and when your done cooking you just toss the foil with the door still looking brand new.

Lone Star Grillz

Chris, I do appreciate the response and your research. To me, an external drip guard attached to the door would catch drips that would normally run down the SS firebox door. That would be more appealing (to me) than seeing the stains on the door. I would think you would only see the drips in the tray while standing right at the smoker, but from any sort of distance, it would look much better.

I would think it would be slightly higher on the right (open door side) so that anything that didn't sear off right away would work its way down to the left and drip on the ground. Not sure if this would break with the symmetry of the box shaped smoker and look out of sorts or not.

My only question would be how far would the guard have to stick out from the door to catch anything that would drip down? I would think only a couple inches, but if it had to be wider, I could see it being a shin or knee biter.

I would definitely be willing to be a (paying) demo tester if y'all are interested. Y'all have my number, but you can PM me if you need any information.

Chris, I do appreciate the response and your research. To me, an external drip guard attached to the door would catch drips that would normally run down the SS firebox door. That would be more appealing (to me) than seeing the stains on the door. I would think you would only see the drips in the tray while standing right at the smoker, but from any sort of distance, it would look much better.

I would think it would be slightly higher on the right (open door side) so that anything that didn't sear off right away would work its way down to the left and drip on the ground. Not sure if this would break with the symmetry of the box shaped smoker and look out of sorts or not.

My only question would be how far would the guard have to stick out from the door to catch anything that would drip down? I would think only a couple inches, but if it had to be wider, I could see it being a shin or knee biter.

I would definitely be willing to be a (paying) demo tester if y'all are interested. Y'all have my number, but you can PM me if you need any information.

There isn't room between the doors to create a drip pan (not enough clearance), we thought of that as well and made a couple prototypes but it wouldn't fit and when we made it fit it didn't work.

Lone Star Grillz

We have experimented with at least 3 or 4 external drip guards and as many internal drop down guards and trust me when I say if they were any better than the current set up we would have implemented it.

External drip guards- because they are connected to the door from the inside or the the body of the smoker they still get warm or hot and any drips will still need to be wiped of or cleaned just the same as if it were to get on the door so no difference or advantage there.

Internal slide out or fold down guards are more problematic because they get in the way or are not large enough to capture all that drips out of the box.

Aside from wiping up as you go along the best solution we have seen or done is to take aluminum foil tuck it behind the fire box door, close the door to hold it in place, then fold it down to protect the door while cooking. I know this isn't the sexiest solution nor does it provide us with an additional item to sell but at the end of the day its the best solution, its easy, everyone can do it and when your done cooking you just toss the foil with the door still looking brand new.

Lone Star Grillz

Wished I'd seen / read this from day one!! Dang.

Gotta do some cleaning and then this will be the norm for me afterwards.

Thanks!!

So after reading this entire thread twice, and a lot of research "most was here". I put a check in the mail! I got one on order finally:) I do want to say thank you to all who posted your experience with the company and the Smoker itself. The information and experience posted was 98% of my decision to order. Now I have to wait:)

The full size, I added some extra racks, tie downs, SS side folding table, Locking wheel upgrade, SS handel and T plates. I really wanted to have it painted but just can't justify $450.00.

Back