New Akorn Jr- Too Much Time On My Hands...

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
V8dJwp.jpg

ukjeWA.jpg

I like that rain shield. The Akorn Jr. is one of the real undiscovered jewels of backyard cooking. it's big brother, not so much.

If it rains during a cook, you pick it up and move it.

But, when not in use, i've found water in the bottom of the ash pan. I think rain gets in through the exhaust cap and water accumulates in the ash pan? Not sure if it gets in through the cap only, or perhaps the intake slide?

Rain cap can't hurt I guess.

But, when not in use, i've found water in the bottom of the ash pan. I think rain gets in through the exhaust cap and water accumulates in the ash pan? Not sure if it gets in through the cap only, or perhaps the intake slide?

*checks SmokerKing's location * :suspicious:

I have the full sized akorn. If i leave it outside uncovered when it rains water gets down into removeable the ash pan. The water gets down into the bottom of the double wall and is hard to get out.

Why/How is the Jr. Better.?

The full sized Akorn has way too many manufacturing problems. Missing parts, dents, poor seals, inability to hold low temps, etc.

I had to take two back before I got an Akorn that was serviceable out of the box. I kept that unit for about a month before I donated it to a Scout Troop.

The Jr. Is just better built.

Just my experience and opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.

I agree with CeramicChef the jr seems far easier to regulate and control compared to its bigger brother . Saying that though I get good results off the Bigger Akorn too. I am able to control at lower temps for low and slows but I feel like I have to fittle with it more to find the sweet spot were on my jr the intake /exhaust settings I know right where to put them to get my temps .

SmokerKing I dig you mods ,your a man after my own heart. I love making custom mods for my rigs too. NICE WORK!!!!!

They are the same type of design but the jr is smaller in design and size. They are proportional to the size of the egg.

Back