DIY Charcoal basket and grate mods

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I like grilling with lump instead of briquettes. But the stock charcoal grate in the Weber Kettle has some big openings that allows smaller pieces of lump to escape, which is a waste. So, I found some 13g 1/2" expanded metal at the local hardware store and I got to work!

First I cut some pieces to fit 'inside' the stock grate. Pretty straight forward. The center piece is actually two pieces, I was trying to use every little bit I could to minimize scrap. Tie the pieces to the stock grate with some bicycle spoke scraps (I build bicycle wheels for a living).

xQg7savh.jpg

Next I made myself a charcoal basket - it'll make building a two-zone fire super easy, great way for intense heat for searing, and clean up and re-using lump is easy-peasy. Will use it the first time tonight. I wished I had made it a little smaller across the straight side but longer the other direction. Ideally you'd flare the top out to match the curve of the kettle, but, this'll work. I'll flip the grate for better air flow through the bottom.

BAFANoJh.jpg

Up next: a taller charcoal ring for my WSM.

Not sure why you need a taller basket for the WSM. Check out the mods in my signature for some ideas.

Not sure why you need a taller basket for the WSM. Check out the mods in my signature for some ideas.

I want a taller ring so I can fit more fuel so there's no worries when doing a long overnight cook, and no need to add more half way through the cook. A taller ring can just about double the amount of fuel. Also, the huge holes in the stock ring don't work great with lump, smaller pieces can fall out.

I'm not going to use the water pan, so without it in there there's a lot of empty space that a taller fire ring can take advantage of. I'm sure I'll rarely need that extra capacity, but, nice to know it's there. No downside to loading it with more lump than you need!

My 22" never had a problem running out. I did briskets and then ribs afterwards and still had fire.

I've got an 18".

New charcoal ring is done. New vs standard:

wMOVMs7h.jpg

Good idea. I used royal oak lump in my mastertouch for the first time the other day and also found that alot of the smaller peices fell right through the grate. Might have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.

Nice handiwork. Good ideas and execution.

I envy you folks with metal fab skills and tools.

You could do it if you wanted!

Complete list of tools I ised:
Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel - for cutting the material
Sharpie - for marking the material
Wire cutters - for cutting the spokes
Vise grips - for twisting the spokes to tie pieces together

Back