Smoked Walleye Tacos 🌮

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
With purple cabbage slaw and grilled jalapeño. Tomorrow.
Tonight?

I’m going to study.

Last edited:
With purple cabbage slaw and grilled jalapeño. Tomorrow.
Tonight?

I’m going to study.

That is the first BBQ book that I ever bought back in the late 80's or early 90's. It was a good read. Taught the low and slow method. And I practiced it religiously. Times sure have changed.

Speaking of Walleye, I saw Walleye filets in a Costco in Rochester, MN last week. Wanted to buy a bunch and carry on the plane, but resisted the temptation.

Waiting for the pictures.

Robert

I had thought about making a bowl of guacamole and/or refried beans. Still may-pondering. I was gifted a garden turnip. Think I will make a smashed buttered bacon turnip something or ‘nuther

Coconut tortillas

Smoked walleye? Count me in. :grin:

If you’d grab a couple gas station burritos on you’re way in that’d be great :laugh:

Beer situation is under control. Shiner was hot. Modelo was hand cramping cold and on sale.

Last edited:
Looks Great!

Being that I am from MN this is a fish that I usually have in the freezer. I have wondered how it smokes but never tried.

Did you leave the skin on during smoking? Type of wood smoke? Alder?

Thanks.

Greg

That looks very tasty! I love the addition of turnips. They are one of my favorite veggies. Did you just chop and add to the taco?

As people know that have eaten walleye it has very little fish taste. Seasoned with bbq Rub and Cooked like this it resembles chicken in taste/texture. Smoke?? If you’ve never eaten smoked fish, you’d say it’s fine but light- opposite that if your SF Experience is salmon or high oil fish etc you’d say the smoke is lacking. These were filets, skin off. The filets were cooked in the pellet cooker with the remaining of a PitBoss competition blend.

The turnips were softened in simmering water. Drained, seasoned with 407BBQ Rub and smashed with Irish Butter. No cream nor milk etc. The turnips took the place of avocado-refried beans etc You see radish’s in Mexican dishes quite often. To my senses radishes and turnips have a similar taste. Turnips and cornbread growing up quite often. A thick corn tortilla (I used coconut flour tortilla) probably would have been childhood memory activating.

It worked.

Last edited:
Back