We're cookin on a lannnnnnnnnng.. **pron

pga7602

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First cook on a stick burner and my new Lang 36 patio. Just like the practice run she held steady between 275 and 300 degree. Including the start up sticks I used a total of 8 coke can size sticks. That seems like a lot for a 4 hour cook. Does that sound right? Maybe I could have saved 3 sticks had I started her up with charcoal?

Anyways the food turned out great. I now know what all the fuss is about with stick burners and Langs!

20151119_121805.jpg

LOVE THE TEL TRU
20151119_160113.jpg

What the heck... its tradition to cook a fatty on a new smoker. Right??
20151119_135520.jpg

2 hours... fatty comes out... time to wrap.
20151119_155614.jpg

Saused.... back in the cooker to set.
20151119_170308.jpg

Money shot. Time to eat!
20151119_175308.jpg

food looks great , after cooking on a stick burner you will not to cook on anything but a stick burner on how the food taste

Lookin good! I've been starting my Lang with lump charcoal to get my coal bed. Then add splits as needed. Try going naked the whole time on your ribs, the smoke flavor is incredible!

Food looks great. Hard to tell on the amount of wood and cook time. A few more runs on her and you should get an average. I've cooked plenty and sparingly with regards to quantity of food and seem to average around 15 sticks pretty close to the size you show. This is on a 7-8 hour cook. But again there are many other factors so just keep firing it up and you'll lock in on some numbers. Nice rig!

food looks great , after cooking on a stick burner you will not to cook on anything but a stick burner on how the food taste

You are right! Coming from a WSM I have to say there is a definate difference. Not sure I want to do a butt on it though. Babysitting it for 12 hours sounds tough lol

Congrats on the new smoker, food looks awesome

You are right! Coming from a WSM I have to say there is a definate difference. Not sure I want to do a butt on it though. Babysitting it for 12 hours sounds tough lol

what I do is I have a Maverick 735 and will be replacing with a Tappeque temp gauge soon but it allows me to do stuff around the house and when the temp drops in the cook chamber it will tell me to add another split and do not haft to babysit the cook so much .

I start with a chimney of KCB charcoal and 2-3 fist sized sticks.

I did a brisket and bone in butt last Saturday on at 530 off at 3. Temp around 300 give or take 50.

I don't like to use coals. Use lump instead and start with small splits and then increase in size a bit. Having a good coal base is key to maintaining heat and temps. However I also don't cook at such low temps.

Very nice smoker and the food looks great. I just starting cooking with a stick burner and don't think I could go back to anything else. The taste is awesome.

As far as babysitting goes, to me its just maintaining a fire, work around the house check the cooker, they go hand in hand. I used to sweat the temp swings if I let it go too long, it just adds time quality is the same. You have to let it go for a long time before it gets below 225*. You'll be a lot more relaxed about it next year at this time.

As far as babysitting goes, to me its just maintaining a fire, work around the house check the cooker, they go hand in hand. I used to sweat the temp swings if I let it go too long, it just adds time quality is the same. You have to let it go for a long time before it gets below 225*. You'll be a lot more relaxed about it next year at this time.
Very well said.

Can't agree more here. When I'm cooking on my stick burner depending on my roaming around the house, drinking beer, seeing something shiny I've come out with the temp dropped to 200, but add another stick or 2 and it comes right back up within 15mins.

I start mine with a bed of lump and normally 3 sticks and hit it with a weed burner, then add 1-2 sticks every 45mins or so to maintain some temp above 300. The more you cook on that Lang the more you'll figure out how much it wants to consume.

Food looks awesome! :clap2:

Agree. It took a very long time from 300 to 250.

Congratulations...

You will find the Lang 36 drafts well...You can set any temp by your fire size...But, you don't need me telling you that...It looks like you have it wired on your 1st cook...

Good Job! Enjoy...

Back