Jerky on UDS idea

rat44

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using one of the Amaz-N-Smokers in a UDS to do jerky? I would think the temps would be just about right. Thinking about getting the 5x8, but thought I'd see if anybody has tried it before I do.

I've used the Amaz-n-Tube to cold smoke cheese. They work great.

No, I use a drip pan (indirect that way) the 2 racks/grates and smoke the jerky around 150*

ITBFQ, did you do the cheese on a UDS? What temps were you getting with just the tube?

You don't want to cold smoke jerky unless it's cured. I can hold my UDS at 150 easy. I also have the 5x8 for cheese and LOX in a cardboard box.

No, I use a drip pan (indirect that way) the 2 racks/grates and smoke the jerky around 150*

^this

If you use just the amazing smoker, your temp will be about what the ambient temp is. And your jerky will not dry out unless it's a pretty hot day. I would just warm smoke it at 150 till dry. You don't even have to buy any new equipment. Just start with about 8-10 hot coals, and your ball valve half open. Should get you in the ballpark

Thanks for the input guys! Gonna do a test burn to see what it takes to hold about 150.

I marinade my jerky and then cold smoke it for an hour or so, then use a dehydrator to dry it. Before I smoke I lay the strips out on racks and put it I the fridge for a few hours. I only do this during fall and winter so the meat is alway cold. Great smoky flavor and I love the texture.

Next time I do some I am going to hang it so the grease can drop off instead of pool on top...

I've used the Amaze-N-Tube to smoke bacon. Agree that for jerky it's best to get the temp up a little bit at least. I've done jerky at 120-150* and it took about 7-8 hours for it to dry out and become pliable. The Tube added the smoke flavor...

ITBFQ, did you do the cheese on a UDS? What temps were you getting with just the tube?

I used it in my WSM... I didn't temp it. All I know is that the cheese didn't melt.

I'd get the temps to 150 and then use the tube for supplemental smoke.

I wish I could hold temps low enough to do jerky on my uds. I know old leaky likes to run 290 - 300 and my big poppa I have never tried to maintain under 225. I have been ITCHING to do some jerky too.

Whats the process in a UDS?

I wish I could hold temps low enough to do jerky on my uds. I know old leaky likes to run 290 - 300 and my big poppa I have never tried to maintain under 225. I have been ITCHING to do some jerky too. Whats the process in a UDS?

For me, I usually use my mini wsm coal basket since you won't need/use all that much coal, set inside my empty regular UDS coal basket. Place the mini basket close to one edge of the UDS coal basket and that is set towards an air intake vent when setting down inside the drum if that makes sense. I use a lot of the small slivers/pieces of wood that are in the bags of wood chunks. Use a starter cube to light the briquette coals ( I don't use lump for this due to inconsistent temps). I can get 120* for about 1-2 hrs but without adding a touch more air the coals will eventually go out. I can run 150* without a problem. I'd suggest using at least a 2" exhaust ( more draw) and no riser on the intake your going to use. I use a drip pan above the coals to keep things indirect.
Anyway that is my method.

Start about half or less coals you would usually use at start up.

I wish I could hold temps low enough to do jerky on my uds. I know old leaky likes to run 290 - 300 and my big poppa I have never tried to maintain under 225. I have been ITCHING to do some jerky too.

Whats the process in a UDS?

Like teleking said.. less coals. and less air. Only start with 6-10 lit coals, and just open one ball valve half way and see where that gets you.. I smoked jalapenos on my uds, and set the temp to 150 and let it run for 26 hours straight and only even checked it twice. It should run that low like a champ, unless there's just way too much air leaking in...

Back