Maverick Customer Service

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just got my Maverick ET-733 and planned on using it today. I did the boiling water and ice bath tests to check the accuracy and got mixed results. In the boiling water test both probes read 212. Water boils at 210 where I am so I was pleased. In the ice bath, however, they read 41 and 39. I switched the probes and got 41 and 37. My instant read got 209.5 and 32.5.

I called Maverick customer service and got a recording to leave a message. Do any of you have experience with Maverick customer service? Should I work with them or just send it back to Amazon for a replacement?

I just got my Maverick ET-733 and planned on using it today. I did the boiling water and ice bath tests to check the accuracy and got mixed results. In the boiling water test both probes read 212. Water boils at 210 where I am so I was pleased. In the ice bath, however, they read 41 and 39. I switched the probes and got 41 and 37. My instant read got 209.5 and 32.5.

I called Maverick customer service and got a recording to leave a message. Do any of you have experience with Maverick customer service? Should I work with them or just send it back to Amazon for a replacement?

I have 4 sets of Maverick's in the shed and probably 1/2 dozen sets of probes.

That is from about 5 years of using Mavericks.

They are now all museum items and have been replaced by the Thermoworks Smoke.

If it was me. I would send back the Maverick, toss and few more dollars in and order a Smoke wireless thermometer.

YMMV

When I use my Maverick, it's just for a peace of mind guesstimate. We smoke at a variance of +\- 25*, not an exact temp. I'd use them until you can get in touch with Maverick.

I worked it out with Amazon. New one gets here tomorrow. If this one isn't accurate, I may bite the Smoke bullet.

My new ET-733 arrived and I tested it; got the same exact readings I got with the first one except one of the probes shows "LLL" when it gets over 200 degrees. Tested them over a range of temps using hot/cold water mixtures and they seem to be pretty accurate at the temps you actually use them. Called Maverick customer service and they answered this time. The girl said the hybrid probes don't measure extreme cold temperatures that well, verifying the results I got. Told her about the "LLL" on the one probe and she said she would send a replacement. Better customer service than I thought.

Used it on a roast, putting the defective probe in the food. Works like a charm. Should have just opened the first one and started using it. I think too much.

Used it on a roast, putting the defective probe in the food. Works like a charm. Should have just opened the first one and started using it. I think too much.

Glad it worked out for you! :-D

No offense, but why did you feel the need to test the probes in extreme cold? Not something we're going to need while we're cooking with heat.......

Boiling water (if you know your altitude) and an ice bath are the 2 temps you can be sure of; no guessing or comparing to other thermometers. If it reads accurately at both, it's probably accurate at other temps. I've always checked my thermometers this way. I was a math major in college and a hopeless techie. It's in my genes.

With Q, you have to give a big margin to feel and leave the science and physics to those that really care about it.

Just have fun!

The LLL means its toast. Might have gotten wet or too hot. Any time ive used a remote therm i test it against the ambient air temp.

I agree Ninja. If I turn it on and plug the probes in, as long as it says something in the high 70's (normal house temp), their good enough for me...

Same issue. Emailed customer support and they said that the probes they use are not meant for temps that low and ice baths are not accurate. I compared temps at a higher temps and they matched a little more evenly with other therms. I have no plans on buying another to tell you the truth. I will be grabbing a smoke soon.

I Googled looking to replace my instant read and saw the wireless probe stuff. Thought it would be neat watching a game and monitoring my cook from there and made an impulse buy. I could justify $45 for an unnecessary toy but not $100 (for the Smoke).

Back