Gravity Feed Smoker from Army Medical Cabinet

Smokin' Sandy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I just purchased an Army medical cabinet that I am hoping to build a gravity feed smoker with. Here are some pics of the cabinet:

I don't know how to weld, so I plan to find someone nearby to help me build the parts I will need. Before I started drafting things up myself, I thought I would try here to see if anyone knows of some good plans to convert something like this into a smoker. I'm especially interested in ideas for the chute.

Thanks!

I believe the outside dimensions are 30"(H) by 19"(W) by 18"(D). I have yet to get it home to measure the internal dimensions. It is dual walled, so it will be a little smaller inside.

I thought about just throwing a firebox in the bottom with a heat deflector, but I've always liked the idea of having a gravity feed. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

just off hand, where did you come across something like that and how much did you pay if you don't mind me askin?

My friends tell me that everything I see "Looks like it'd make a good smoker"- and they are right! And that'd probably make a good smoker- just not sure what'd I'd do with it. I know it's bordering on heresy.... but maybe go electric?

I would first worry about getting the mil spec paint off. Then decide if you still want to make a smoker out of it. If it's aluminum forget it.

I would first worry about getting the mil spec paint off. Then decide if you still want to make a smoker out of it. If it's aluminum forget it.

oooh- that's a horrible thought. Totally possible- but horrible nonetheless. I'd just scratch the paint in a hidden spot (or use a handy magnet) and leave the paint on it if it's aluminum. Plan B might not be as cool as a new smoker-but still might be pretty neat.

Wish I had a dollar for every Army medical cabinet smoker build I've seen recently! Best of luck. Cool idea!

Back