Any tips on buying a BGE?

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any tips? What time of year is best? Are there ever any good sales?...Stores? Buying stratigies?

Any tips? What time of year is best? Are there ever any good sales?...Stores? Buying stratigies?
1. Buy the biggest kamado you can afford. And b. If you want a BGE (there are other brands that are good) then search for the nearest EggFest to you. You can buy demo units at the end of these for a better than retail price plus you get to see them cooking. Good luck.

Last edited:
Make sure they toss in the Big bag of Potting soil or no deal:p I second on getting the biggest one you can afford. I don't own one but I have cooked on a Primo numerous times at my cousins house they are Serious Equipment!

Check around and then call Hometown lumber here Marysville, KS . . . You get the entire package, nest,mates,grid lifter,ash tool,bag of lump & chunks, fire starters.
HTH.
PM me if you have questions

About the only deals you find are at the Eggfests. They are kind of like Webers as far as price setting goes. You may get a free bag of charcoal or something from the dealer, that is about all. Buy the biggest you can get, the names of the sizes are deceiving. A Large Big Green Egg is the same cooking size as a 18.5" Weber, which happens to be more of a medium size grill if you ask me.

About the only deals you find are at the Eggfests. They are kind of like Webers as far as price setting goes. You may get a free bag of charcoal or something from the dealer, that is about all. Buy the biggest you can get, the names of the sizes are deceiving. A Large Big Green Egg is the same cooking size as a 18.5" Weber, which happens to be more of a medium size grill if you ask me.
No offense, I've seen many eggfest Prices, local dealer beats them all for a complete package!

No offense, I've seen many eggfest Prices, local dealer beats them all for a complete package!

Well I am glad somewhere there are deals on them, certainly none here. I looked here for a long time before I got one. We have three dealers here too.

Let's just say that other dealers in app. 200 mile radius are bitching to HQ
about what local dealer is selling BGE's for!

Eggfests in this part of the country are very lacking. :-(
Used to be one in OKC, but that went bye bye
Denver area, same as above
Springfield, MO has had one in Sept, but no real deals there.

Eggfests in this part of the country are very lacking. :-(
Used to be one in OKC, but that went bye bye
Denver area, same as above
Springfield, MO has had one in Sept, but no real deals there.

Found that there is on in Norfolk, Ne on April 26th.

Been cooking on a Large BGE for the last 6 years. Initially I bought a platesetter for indirect cooks/smoking...Do yourself a favor and go ahead and buy an adjustable rig. Do a search on it. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
This will maximize the Egg and provide different set ups for cooks, you need this. Everything from pizza to simple burgers. You will not regret it. As far as set it and forget it for long cooks, check out the temp controllers from bbqguru.com. These are my top 2 additions for the egg. Everything else is sitting in the corner of my shed collecting dust and a total waste of money. Oh and a cheap weed burner from harbor freight to get the coals rocking real quick. You will enjoy the egg.

I agree on getting the largest one you can afford, they are great cookers, but, they are not super high capacity for things like ribs.

Well, let me ask this.........and I'm sure there are as many one way, as the other, but what is the better way to go, egg, or kamado?

I have a large egg and occasionally wish I had an XL. I have figured out how to add a 2nd level so I can do 4 or 5 racks comfortably. The egg is an awesome cooker. That's why I bought it. Very little air moves through the egg when cooking due to the insulation of the ceramic, therefore very little moisture loss. This is very simple.... :)

Egg or kamado? Joe?
Egg has one heck of a warranty which being a ceramic cooker you may need. Not sure of the warranty of the other one. There are a lot a accessories for the BGE and why not own one of the best, most popular Kamado's on the market. A proven track record is reassuring.

Back