THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sloandsteady

Full Fledged Farker
I'm getting tired of using a fork to flip smaller cuts of meat (steaks, chicken thighs, etc . . .) and was thinking of going with a pigtail flipper. Anyone have a pigtail flipper that they like using? Thanks.

I've used a pig tail, many times. They work great, but I'd rather use tongs. As stated above, not too excited about poking extra holes in the meat.

Matt

I use tongs for just about everything. I have 5-6 pairs strategically placed around the grills/smoker

I got a pair of pig tail flippers (big and small) after watching numerous teams use them on BBQ Pitmasters. I use them at comps and at home and only use tongs very rarely now. Pigtail flippers have numerous advantages like:
1. They won't mess up the appearance of your meat or take off the rub like tongs do.
2. They offer a more secure grip on the meat.
3. People worry about meat juice "loss" but the amount is really minimal and worth not messing up your meat seasoning. Meathead did a more extensive review on this on his amazingribs.com site.

If a spatula or tongs won't do, I use a pair of these gloves.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-167L-Heavyweight-Gauntlet/dp/B000BZ8K4M?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0"]Wells Lamont 167L Heavyweight PVC Coated Work Gloves with Gauntlet Cuff and Cotton Fleece Lining, Large, Green - Work Gloves - Amazon.com[/ame]

I also use tongs for smaller pieces of meat and gloves for anything larger.

Below are the tongs I have. Not had too much issue with messing up the appearance of the meat. Besides, while I want it to look pretty, not like I do comps or anything like that...

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-12-Inch-Tongs-Silicone/dp/B003L0OYK8"]Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs with Black Silicone Heads: Food Tongs: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I use them for dunking chicken thighs in sauce at comps.

Yup, that's what I saw teams doing on Pitmasters so that was the primary reason I bought them (in addition to the review on amazingribs.com where he mentions the loss of moisture is negligible). I also found that using them with steaks, tri-tip, etc. is good so I don't lose rub (always thought it was such a waste to see tongs covered in seasoning at the end of a cook).

I have one and have only used it a couple of times. Prefer tongs as I'm usually cooking no more than two pieces of meat.

I do see them being used all the time around these parts - the big Santa Maria pits where they're cooking dozens of pieces of meat at the same time. They work very efficiently. The Pig tails are very sharp/pointed and strong. Very small holes if any at all.

Tongs at home for any grilling, but I use the pigtail whenever I'm smoking. I like that it doesn't mess up the rub when putting ribs on especially. Its also nice to reach to the back to grab the other side of a rack then grab the close side with a glove when wrapping.

I have a set and use them pretty regularly along with tongs. I find they give you good control of the meat and the cleanup is a breeze. I use them most for small cuts like steak and they're also great for bacon! Large cuts like pork butts I use gloves.

Back