THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demosthenes

Full Fledged Farker
I'm not one to usually ask how to cook something. But I paid too much money for this piece of meat (even though it was on sale 1/2 off) to have my pride get in the way ,and chance ruining/overcooking it. I haven't made up my mind totally on whether to cut into rib eye steaks .....or cook whole for prime rib. If I cut into steaks....I'm good to go. Prime rib?...I need some times and temps guidance to cook in the smoker. I appreciate all input.

Why do I feel like I'm walking into a loaded question?:shock::roll::pray:...LOL! Prime rib?...eye action. Rib eye?....red to red.

Lol do you like it red from edge to edge or do you like the middle red and more done around the outside.

I personally have found I like the eye way.. red in the middle and more done around the edges.

Last edited:
I usually reverse seat to 115 and then give it one hellova crust. Lots of sea salt and pepper. More salt than pepper. Can't go wrong. You can always go get a steak....prime rib is a treat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually reverse seat to 115 and then give it one hellova crust. Lots of sea salt and pepper. More salt than pepper. Can't go wrong. You can always go get a steak....prime rib is a treat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And insert a knife blade, like stabbing it, and insert a garlic clove at various areas around the roast. Incredible flavor added.

Lol do you like it red from edge to edge or do you like the middle red and more done around the outside.

I personally have found I like the eye way.. red in the middle and more done around the edges.

LOL!....I knew what you meant. :thumb:I have a habit of making everything a double entendre. :tape:

Thanx guys. I'm going to flip a coin as to whether on not I do prime rib or cut into steaks. If prime rib wins, I'll definitely go with Meathead's method. :thumb:.

How about a couple of 1 lb. steaks and a 3 lb. prime rib? :thumb:

For prime rib, I've stopped messing with the sear at all. I cook it at 225-240, whatever it takes :-D until it hit 125 internal and then hold it to rest. The outside gets nice and brown and the inside is a consistent color throughout.

Well, I guess I'll be the only dissident and say that sear first and cook low and slow is the way to go. I've found that searing last will give you a grey outer ring around the meat and you'll not get edge to edge even cooking. This is because the meat is already hot, and it doesn't take much to drive it into well done territory. However, if you like a medium middle and more well done outer edge, then reverse sear may be the thing for you. It's just not for me.

The cook is simple. Season, sear, cook at 200° until you hit 125°, tent and rest for 20 mins. You should end up with something like this:

Not only that, but every slice will be just like that:

Not my recipe, but found and followed what Thermapen wrote here:

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2014/12/rib-roast/

It works great for me.

Well, I guess I'll be the only dissident and say that sear first and cook low and slow is the way to go. I've found that searing last will give you a grey outer ring around the meat and you'll not get edge to edge even cooking. This is because the meat is already hot, and it doesn't take much to drive it into well done territory. However, if you like a medium middle and more well done outer edge, then reverse sear may be the thing for you. It's just not for me.

The cook is simple. Season, sear, cook at 200° until you hit 125°, tent and rest for 20 mins. You should end up with something like this:

Not only that, but every slice will be just like that:

Not my recipe, but found and followed what Thermapen wrote here:

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2014/12/rib-roast/

It works great for me.

THAT'S what I hope to accomplish. NICE! (Somebody HAS GOT TO come out with a 'scratch & lick' monitor)

That did cross my mind at one point. I can get the best of both worlds....and I won't have to flip a coin. Yeah! That's the ticket!!!! (in my Jon Lovitz voice)

Rib Roasts are on sale here for Easter, but there is a 1 roast limit, so I am thinking about buying the biggest one that they have and cutting it into steaks and a couple of smaller roasts.

Back