How much meat in the freezer is to much?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone ever stop buying meat due to having to much? I have a bad habit of buying meat when its on sale whether I need it or not. It worse being that I work 1/2 mile away from a two grocery stores. So I check often for sales. Just did an inventory and right now I have 3 pork butts, 8 slabs of ribs, and 2 briskets. There are only two of us. Thinking I need to stop buying for awhile and start smoking more? Or can a guy never have to much?

Sounds like to me a smoker or two needs to be fired up. You can't take'em with you when you go. SMOKE DEM THANGS SON!!!

It's a great idea to resist the urge to buy on sale and cook everything in your freezer,
empty and clean it out. Then do the same for your 2nd freezer, then the 3rd, etc.
Do this before hunting / fishing season.
Also, don't shop when Hongry.

Nots not too bad. Frozen meat can easily last a year.

My freezer count: 1 butt, 2 whole chickens, 6 bonless chicken breast, 10 ribeye steaks, 1 rack of spares, 2 beef backs, 2 pork loins, at least 5 lbs ground venison, some steelhead, several lbs of beef fat, 2 packages of cooked pulled pork, im sure there is a few things down in the gulley i missed. There is only two of us also so no i dont thing you have too much.

Nots not too bad. Frozen meat can easily last a year.

My freezer count: 1 butt, 2 whole chickens, 6 bonless chicken breast, 10 ribeye steaks, 1 rack of spares, 2 beef backs, 2 pork loins, at least 5 lbs ground venison, some steelhead, several lbs of beef fat, 2 packages of cooked pulled pork, im sure there is a few things down in the gulley i missed. There is only two of us also so no i dont thing you have too much.

This could actually be an interesting Idea for a thread.... "What's in your Freezer" Find out which one of you meat horder's houses we are all coming to visit when the zombie apocalypse rolls around

TO much??? To much is when you run out of space to put the next new Deep freeze. In freezer #1 I have 2 briskets 3 shoulders 9 chickens a pack of Ribeyes 10 lbs of sausage, 2 pork loins, and 40 center cut Loin chops 6 lbs of bacon 10 lbs of hamburger and a Turkey. Freezer # 2 is for the Venison I hope:pray:

I try to use everything within a year. As far as frozen meat goes. Stock I'll let go a bit longer as it doesn't really freezer burn, but too long and it can pick up some off flavors. A lot of it depends on how your meat is prepared for the freezer. If you just buy it at the store in those Styrofoam containers it comes in there is tons of air and moisture in there and you will develop ice crystals (ie, freezerburn).

It's all about how you package it. You either need to sandwich wrap it in freezer paper or vacuum seal it for it to last. Things that come in cryovacs will not need repackaging, but pretty much everything else that you buy at your grocer will. If you buy a 1/2 or 1/4 steer it will come expertly wrapped and that will last about a year. Wild game tends to freezer burn quicker, but not too much if it is properly packaged. Nothing lasts forever though. It is always a shame to find a nice (and possibly expensive) cut way in the back of your freezer that has gone bad because you forgot about it.

Too much? If you can't close the door, I guess that's too much.

Up until a couple months ago, we had a side by side refrigerator in the kitchen, an over under in in the garage, and a "Kimchi" refrigerator in the dining room. With all that, I was fighting for space with the wife's Korean food for anything that I found that went on sale. So, I went out and got us a freezer and proclaimed that the top two shelf's were mine.

I don't think I have done too bad on filling up my shelves. There's four butts, three beef short rib plates, about 11 bags of 2 dozen each wings, about 10 racks of SLC ribs, some sausage, oxtail, chicken thighs, lobster tails, tri-tip, ribeye, frozen burger patties, and a couple bags of leftover meatballs and PSB.

That reminds me. I need to get some briskets in there...

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 267
I've got the same problem. At first I thought I'd be neat about it and keep a whiteboard on my stock. The white board quickly filled up and I easily need one or two more of them.
Rjk595k.jpg

kZFstGK.jpg

Steve, a little organizing and you can put a couple of those shelf's together... Plenty of room...

Steve, a little organizing and you can put a couple of those shelf's together... Plenty of room...

Yeah I know. But I live by myself... if I keep it wide spread it seems like I can't fit anymore!

What do you do with all that meat if you have a power outage? I live in an area where there are lots of trees, and why in the world would anyone bury a power line when you can run it through some gnarly tree branches. Every time the wind blows hard or it snows, we start looking for Ice chests and flashlights. I lost a few good cuts of meat last year, so until I get a generator I won't be hoarding too many sales.

Never too much meat, with two teenagers we are up to 4 freezers, including a 26 cubic feet chest freezer. We started using "milk crates" in the bottom to separate different types of proteins in the chest freezers.

What do you do with all that meat if you have a power outage? I live in an area where there are lots of trees, and why in the world would anyone bury a power line when you can run it through some gnarly tree branches. Every time the wind blows hard or it snows, we start looking for Ice chests and flashlights. I lost a few good cuts of meat last year, so until I get a generator I won't be hoarding too many sales.

Only had it a couple months, so I really don't know. But we have not lost power for longer than an hour or two in the 12+ years I have lived here. I would think that all that frozen meat in there will keep everything else frozen for a day as long as we don't open it up.

What means this term "too much"? If there is room gettin more ain't wrong!

Back