Discussion Thread -> "Game Meats!" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Game Meats!"

thirdeye.jpg

This was thirdeye's spectacular winning entry in the 2009 "Wild Game" Throwdown!

As chosen by ShencoSmoke for winning the "Cooked With Booze, Part 2" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

ShencoSmoke said:
Game meat (mammals or fowl) either harvested and processed by you or someone you know OR game meat raised and sold to the general public. The deciding factor as to if the mammal or fowl is considered to be game is this: Is the animal hunted for sport or food?

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/20 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/2/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/3.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

***The below disclaimer is intended to prevent any and all douchebags from committing any and all forms of douchebaggery in the wrong place. BE ADVISED***

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules WILL be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation.

Last edited:
intended to prevent any and all douchebags from committing any and all forms of douchebaggery

Does it have to be wild? What about farm raised boar or venison? What about buffalo? Is that considered game?

Roadkill legal? I mean, in Texas, gathering up roadkill is legal, but for the TD, I mean ? :becky:

I'm sure Moose and Peeps will answer the legality questions. as far as for why I choose it:1) its been over 5 years since it was done last 2) there have been a bunch of Q talk threads recently about game, especially venison 3) it pushes people out of their comfort zone.

Those that live near cities should have access to markets where wild game is sold. And those of us in the rural areas should have some in the freezer or at least know someone who does.

I want to see some folks take what they have learned from cooking chicken, pig, and cow and translate it to something new.

GAME ON!

I'm sure Moose and Peeps will answer the legality questions. as far as for why I choose it:1) its been over 5 years since it was done last 2) there have been a bunch of Q talk threads recently about game, especially venison 3) it pushes people out of their comfort zone.

Those that live near cities should have access to markets where wild game is sold. And those of us in the rural areas should have some in the freezer or at least know someone who does.

I want to see some folks take what they have learned from cooking chicken, pig, and cow and translate it to something new.

GAME ON!

I know I can buy some game meat locally at the store. I'm just not sure about how "Wild" it is if they sell it at the grocery store. For instance, they have camel. Could I cook camel? Its outside of the normal meats, but its no doubt domesticated.. I would imagine their venison isn't wild either.

Yep... There are places to buy exotic meat, but they are from domesticated animals, not wild. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could get something that was once wild from a friend who hunts, but I'm the only one in the house who would eat it :tsk:

Yeah, I have friends that hunt boar and deer locally, but I don't. And if I was to impose upon them for some meat, I am sure they would give me some, but the wife probably wouldn't come any where near it...

After saying that, I am not against the TD at all. It will be great to see what others come up with. I'll just be a spectator for this TD. Sorta like some of the TD's I have entered, just won't cost me anything this time. :mrgreen:

Most people have access to rock doves aka pigeons. More meat than mourning doves.

Back