Discussion Thread -> "Probe Tender" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Probe Tender"

finger-test-meat-doneness_zps2dd5c15a.png

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "Chili" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Shagdog said:
"Probe Tender"

Cook whatever you like to probe tender - Brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chuckie, triskit, whatever. You may not use a thermometer to determine the temperature of your meat or of your pit. No Maverick, thermopop, thermapen, Thermoworks, thermawand, river country, tel tru, or whatever the hell they use in Australia. Those of you with thermo dials on the exteriors of your pits should cover them with foil or close your eyes as you walk to your pits. You'll know you're there when you burn your belly. Then back up a step. Yes, We're on the honor system here, but lets see you cook some food only by sight, touch, and smell. Pointy objects are welcomed to determine the doneness of your meat by feeling, as long as they are not giving you a Celsius or Fahrenheit reading of the temperature inside the meat.

Long story short - Cook some meat without gadgets.
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/13 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/23/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/23.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

***The below disclaimer is intended to prevent any and all douchebags from committing any and all forms of douchebaggery in the wrong place. BE ADVISED***

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules WILL be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation.

Last edited:
Time and temp estimates for this Probe to become tender?

zegoumqtaytukbccw73r.jpg

"Pointy objects are welcomed to determine the doneness of your meat by feeling, as long as they are not giving you a Celsius or Fahrenheit reading of the temperature inside the meat."

I'm not opening this thread once it hits Page 3
nope.gif

"Pointy objects are welcomed to determine the doneness of your meat by feeling, as long as they are not giving you a Celsius or Fahrenheit reading of the temperature inside the meat."

I'm not opening this thread once it hits Page 3
nope.gif

Well, we all know that meats need to get to about >185°F to be probe tender. I ain't sticking any of my fleshy pointy objects into the meat to test for doneness...now if the meat was 98.6°F :mrgreen:

I have a tender place in my heart for the vehicle we referred to as the proby probe

So, just stick a toothpick in some tenders?

Chicken_chix_tenders.jpg

No Maverick, thermopop, thermapen, Thermoworks, thermawand, river country, tel tru, or whatever the hell they use in Australia. Those of you with thermo dials on the exteriors of your pits should cover them with foil or close your eyes as you walk to your pits.

So does this rule out those who cook on pellet smokers or smokers with Gurus or Stokers or similar controls? For these cookers you sort of have to know the temperature of the smoker.

So does this rule out those who cook on pellet smokers or smokers with Gurus or Stokers or similar controls? For these cookers you sort of have to know the temperature of the smoker.
Ron,

Based on this part of the description,

You may not use a thermometer to determine the temperature of your meat or of your pit.

...the controller is measuring the pit temp to control the pellet and/or air feed, right? So I would say based on the above, ATC and pellet cookers would be excluded from this TD since measuring the pit temp is a requirement of the controller operation.

Can clocks be consulted to know how long it's been cooking? Between being blindfolded around the pit and blindfolded around the wall clock, this could be a trip hazard.

Pellet pooper should be dilly barred always with electric and gas. These are glorified ovens :heh::boxing:

I keeed I keeed

Ron,

Based on this part of the description,

...the controller is measuring the pit temp to control the pellet and/or air feed, right? So I would say based on the above, ATC and pellet cookers would be excluded from this TD since measuring the pit temp is a requirement of the controller operation.

OK... I'm out. See you in a couple of weeks :-D

But you got them Kettles in your sig :wink:

Yep, but any BBQ I cook for the next couple of months will be in the Southern Q so I can get ready for the competition season, and that uses a Guru for temp control.

Back