Ate at Pecan Lodge in Dallas

ehs5mw

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, like the title says, I ate at Pecan Lodge in Dallas. The wait wasn't too bad for lunch, and we tried brisket, pork ribs, pulled pork, and the jalapeno and cheddar beef sausage. I haven't been a lot of bbq places in Texas, but I will say I found it to be much more to my liking than Killen's in the Houston area. I think that is mostly due to the rubs that the two places use, but I would love to go back if I visit Dallas again. Anyone else been? Other recommendations? I have seen lists, but curious what the brethren might think.

I've had two meals at Pecan Lodge where the Brisket was the best I have ever had, and on a third return visit it was good, but not like the first two visits that literally ruined most other BBQ spots for me, and had me daydreaming about their Brisket. I was sad that something had changed. I know their volume went up, and it must be harder to turn out consistent excellence.

If you're still in town, try Slow Bone BBQ which is also just outside of downtown on the north side off of Irving Blvd. They use an old JR Oyler Smoker that puts out some terrific dry-rub ribs, and they make all of their own side dishes and pickles.

my job requires travel all over texas. bbq is a favorite food amongst my coworkers and i. collectively we've had some good stuff, some meh stuff, some great stuff and some stuff that is just down right bad. i personally haven't eaten there but some of my coworkers have and they(the ones that have eaten there) all agree that it is good. that being said, i(and a fellow worker who happens to compete locally, i don't...yet, but i know what good q should be thanks to folks here) are sometimes poked fun at because of our "refined palates" when it comes to bbq because we look at things in more detail than the others.

Hard 8 in either grapevine or colony is pretty good. Hutchins BBQ is pretty good also. They have a place in downtown McKinney and in frisco. If you are in the north dallas area these are two that you should try. If you are in the ft worth area, jambo's is a great hole in the wall place.

Well, like the title says, I ate at Pecan Lodge in Dallas. The wait wasn't too bad for lunch, and we tried brisket, pork ribs, pulled pork, and the jalapeno and cheddar beef sausage. I haven't been a lot of bbq places in Texas, but I will say I found it to be much more to my liking than Killen's in the Houston area. I think that is mostly due to the rubs that the two places use, but I would love to go back if I visit Dallas again. Anyone else been? Other recommendations? I have seen lists, but curious what the brethren might think.

Oh, if you are in the hill country the salt lick is a pretty awesome place for some excellent TX BBQ. You could hit the driftwood winery and then head to the salt lick. If you are on the south side of Austin, got to hit either Blacks or Lockhart BBQ joints. Or both, like we did.

I went there like 2 years ago, waited nearly an hour to learn they were out of brisket and had only pulled pork and sausage...it was ok.

I went there like 2 years ago, waited nearly an hour to learn they were out of brisket and had only pulled pork and sausage...it was ok.

If you are talking About the salt lick, it is always busy. The trick is to call it in, pick it up at the small building up front, then feast at a picnic table. My brother took us there and we sat a few tables away from the Bozz (Brian Bozworth)

North Main BBQ in Euless is a great place too. It is about 10 from DFW airport. They are only opened Fri, Sat, and Sun.

Havent been to Pecan Lodge. Went down to texas the end of May and the best Q I jad was Hard 8. Had brisket (too much) ribs, sausage. It was gooooood stuff

North Main BBQ in Euless is a great place too. It is about 10 from DFW airport. They are only opened Fri, Sat, and Sun.
Love that place. Always stop there on the way back to the airport. Hubert sitting there collecting money. No cash register in sight.

A little north is 407BBQ, haven't been there yet, but heard good things. Bryan cooks up some good que.

Oh, if you are in the hill country the salt lick is a pretty awesome place for some excellent TX BBQ. You could hit the driftwood winery and then head to the salt lick. If you are on the south side of Austin, got to hit either Blacks or Lockhart BBQ joints. Or both, like we did.

Salt Lick uses propane smokers. That pit up front that everyone talks about is a food warmer. Not saying the food is not good, but it's not Texas BBQ.

Back