Greetings from Jacksonville

R3V07U10N

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey, everybody! I’m R3V07U10N, but you can call me Jerry, R3v, hey you, or other less savory names. I’ve had worse, and I’ll probably respond anyway.

I’m a novice griller, having no experience with real smokers. I’m becoming more of a charcoal convert now, having had a terrible couple years with an infrared grill which cooked way to hot and fast for the foods I would like to cook. (A person can only cook so many burgers and brats in a lifetime.) I grew up enjoying my father’s talent for smoking butts, ribs, chicken and whatever else he could get his hands on at our local meat market. I wish to carry on his tradition, and I like what I’ve seen so far in this forum.

While I will probably never go pro-level and win a competition or work in a classy BBQ restaurant, I am very interested in what you all do. I love reading about different grilling/BBQ techniques, and I aim to become a quality lump/charcoal/wood cooking enthusiast at home. I will soon be working with a new Char-Broil Triple-Function propane gas/charcoal grill. (My fiancée isn’t ready to completely give up on gas, but I wanted more opportunities to cook with stuff NOT made from dinosaurs and other 240-million-year-old materials-if you believe in that kinda thing. Wood fits the bill.)

Anyway, I hope to be a contributing lurker more often than I leech, but there’s a lot of stuff to see here. So I’d better get to it. :popcorn:
~Jerry

Welcome fellow Floridian, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome Jerry!

Hi Jerry!

Jen here, with Mack Daddy Smokers, located in Middleburg, FL (just outside of Jax).
While we are a Custom Smoker Manufacturer we also are doing our part to elevate the BBQ Community in North East Florida.
That being said, we are hosting our Mack Daddy Challenge Amateur Cook-off Series Grand Finale on September 27th. Admission is free and there is a plethora of information to be gained. FOR NO COST AT ALL. It's a Charity Cook-off, although my cook teams have a brand new cooker and their egos at stake. I invite you to come down and talk with some of the cook teams and mentors that I have available. I think you would really enjoy it and learn a lot. All my teams started as true backyard novice smokers in January... now some of them are about to compete on the circuit. I'll have local pitmasters and area pros out as well.
If you have any questions concerning the event please e-mail me at jenp@mackdaddysmokers.com
Good luck and Happy Smoking!

Welcome to the forum Jerry, glad to have you join us and take part in the other forums here. BBQ isn't classy, it's in a class of it's own. Many of us here never compete professionally, so no worries, we are all regular down to earth people..

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

We have many other different forums here...
For those who are interested in competing, We have a "Competition" talk forum.

We also have a "Catering, Food Handling and Awareness" and "Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses". We also have a trading forum where members can trade sauces and rubs from different areas around our country.

From a fellow north Floridian. Welcome to the asylum Jerry. I hope you have fun here. I have learned a lot of valuable information from the brethren.

Glad to have ya Jerry. It's nice to see you want to follow in the footsteps of your father.

Steeler Nation greetings, Jerry! I especially like Jacksonville as it's the center of the Southern Rock world (Skynyrd, Allman Bros., Outlaws, Molly Hatchet).

I think you'll enjoy the forum and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Cheers!

Bruce

Back