Brisket & Shoulders

Medic72072

Reaction score
Taking a pole. What cooking temperature and cooking time do you cook your briskets and shoulders? I know cook time is subjective. What internal temp do you cook each?

Well you should never cook brisket or pork to any particular IT, brisket is done when it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat and the pork butt is generally done when the bone wiggles free and it probes tender. I will say however, that an IT of 195 is a pretty good one for pork butt and it's a good place to start checking for doneness but I've had pork butts go to an IT of 205 or more before they were ready to come off.:-D

Well you should never cook brisket or pork to any particular IT, brisket is done when it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat and the pork butt is generally done when the bone wiggles free and it probes tender. I will say however, that an IT of 195 is a pretty good one for pork butt and it's a good place to start checking for doneness but I've had pork butts go to an IT of 205 or more before they were ready to come off.:-D

Yes, exactly!

300+ probe tender in the thickest part of the flat and Until the bone wiggles like a loose baby tooth, meat temp don't apply in BBQ cook it until it's done/tender.

IT varies for doneness but I use it as a time gauge: to know when you've hit the stall, when you're coming out of it, and when to start checking for doneness. Saves you from opening and shutting the cook chamber.

Briskets - 325-3250
Butts - 350-375
I shoot for 6 hours on the cooker.

Brisket and Pork cruising cook temp of 275-300 on the PBC.

Brisket = Cook Time: 4-6 Hours* | Desired Temp: 200º
Butt = Cook Time: 5-6 Hours* | Desired Temp: 195-200º

Cook til probe tender. Probe tender could be 205 one day 212 another.

For just pulled pork I'll let it go till around 200 and it always pulls. At home cooking 300-325 on my offset that takes about 6hrs.

Brisket I don't even look at till 200-202. Depending on your cook temp the finish could be higher. I've found cooking hotter the finish temp is hotter. The briskets i've done at 400 were done in 4hrs, but finished closer to 210.

Time and temp can be a useful gauge for some starting out. Many times saying just cook it till its done with nothing else can confuse folks and doesn't really say anything. For some new folks it can work though I guess.

I cook anywhere from 250-275 (wherever it settles) for most of the cook. Then I crank it up to 300-325 if it's stalling. Usually takes around 8-10 hours depending. Like everyone else says no temps for doneness. I don't usually open the pit until I start probing somewhere in the 190's.

I like 250 pit temp for butts. I cook them to 205 and pull em.

I'm new to cooking brisket, but I do 275 and pull when tender. No particular temp.

Cooking on UDS- if it settles in at 290- I cook at 290. if it's 320- I cook at 320. I look for the color of the smoke- long as it's clean I can cook. Cook it until it is done- 30 minutes later or 30 minutes sooner what does it really matter as long as it's right?

Back