Some bad news, need some help

sorry to hear about the devastating circumstances! May i suggest acorn or butternut squash or even zucchini grilled to perfection with ur choice of ingr, maybe a taste of bacon added:sad:

Most doctors are not dietitians.

Bingo. That is why we refer to dieticians. Diet is only one factor in heart disease. You also have to take into account smoking, hypertension, dyslipidemia, physical inactivity, obesity, diabetes mellitus, and heavy alcohol use. It seems strange to me for a doc to tell someone to go vegan, very strange indeed.

I'd rather only live to be 70 and enjoy my life, than to live to 100 being miserable, and eating tofu burgers...

Reminds me of the guy who asks his doc if he'll live to be 100. The doc asks if he smokes cigars, drinks fine whiskey, and chases women. The man vehemently denied all three. The doc replied, "Then why the hell do you care?"

You have to consider quality of life vs. length of life. This is an individual thing that people need to consider before they are incapable of speaking for themselves.

Bingo. That is why we refer to dieticians. Diet is only one factor in heart disease. You also have to take into account smoking, hypertension, dyslipidemia, physical inactivity, obesity, diabetes mellitus, and heavy alcohol use. It seems strange to me for a doc to tell someone to go vegan, very strange indeed.
I once had a doctor tell me to stop eating peanut butter because of the cholesterol. She was an excellent doctor otherwise, so I went elsewhere for dietary advice.

I won't argue the vegan issue at this point as the best thing for him is to heal from his ordeal. Learn to make homemade naturally fermented 100% whole grain bread/rolls. Grill him some monster portabella's and onions, and make him some vegan burgers they are "almost" as good as the real thing. Grilled veggies and fruit is incredible and grilled "WILD CAUGHT" salmon is a fantastic protein that is heart healthy. Wild caught is necessary due to the healthier ratio of omega 3 to omega 6. Farm raised has too high an omega 6 to 3 ratio. Prayers for a speedy recovery and a good journey to good health.

Grilled eggplant parm is one of my favorites: Slice eggplant 1/2" thick and brush both sides with evoo, direct grill over medium hot coals till bottom side is toasted then flip over and top with slice tomato, fresh basil, roasted garlic, and parmesian cheese.

I usually add a slice of mozzarella before the tomato but thought it would be best if you leave that off to be more heart healthy.

I have no medical experience at all, but a second opinion and/or speaking with a dietician seems like the best thing to do.

I do know that a full vegan diet is difficult to get right. It will mean eating lots of beans and pulses to get the required nutrients.
Vegetarian on the other hand is very well possible (not that I would like it, but you can easily stay very healthy on a vegetarian diet).

Some ideas:
Tempeh: I have never done it on a BBQ, but I like it much better than tofu
Roasted bell peppers / onions / garlic in a wrap with tzatziki?
Vegetable kebabs?
BBQ pizza margarita?
Eggplant dip (roasted eggplant)
?????

Hope your friend gets better soon! And I agree, go to another doc!
Diet is not always to blame! Family history would be the first place to look for why. My dad ( going to be 92) has had 2 quad, 2 triple bypasses, a couple stints etc, complete replacement of the his aorta from heart area to down into both legs. He spent 98% his life eating like Euell Gibbins due to his fathers heart problems. The past 3 yrs he has finally decided to start eating most red meats and some fried stuff. Boy does he love it!
Most folks can not survive going true full vegan. It is tough, if not in full understanding of proteins/affects/quantities of etc, to be healthy going vegetarian. JMHO

A lot of the most recent research is showing no link between heart disease and high cholesterol. Also, what we've been "fed" by the food pyramid is being shown to be completely wrong and actually killing us.

For anyone who struggles with their weight and/or is Type 2 diabetes out there - I HIGHLY recommend reading this blog from a Toronto-based doctor who is regularly reversing his patients' diabetes:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/lose-weight/

I have never heard of anyone being told to go vegan. Being told to get on an extremely healthy diet and exercise....yes. Straight Vegan? No.

I would get multiple opinions and go with that.

Thanks guys for all the info and support, I'm going to pass all the info you gave me to him. I'm sure a second opinion is what he will get now, and maybe now he can sleep a little better. Thanks again

I have Microscopic colitis...I was a plump butterball turkey (like 315lbs at 5' 5" - yikes - can't believe I just admitted that lol) before the diagnosis 2 yrs ago. Going low carb and 100% gluten free I'm now down to 165 and I feel like I'm 16 again and I'm 43 now (outside of MC symptoms) and all my blood work and cholesterol numbers are fantastic. That's with eating all of the fatty or lean protein i choose. Going vegan instead I don't think I'd be where I'm at now - not even close. I'd definitely get second and third opinions along with a registered dietitian...

It's wasn't a easy transition (especially because I have to be 110% gluten free) but the results have been incredible and to be honest, after the total diet adjustment I really don't feel deprived.. well except for the no gluten beer part.. its been smooth.. The hardest part is the stress of going out to dinner and family and friends gatherings because of gluten contamination..

I wish your BIL the best of luck and a speedy recovery to great health again.

As some of the Brethren know, I had a TIA (a mini stroke) a little over a year ago. My labs were slightly high, but nothing to get in a twist about. But the TIA was a wake-up call.

I saw a cardiologist (who told me to cut down on my sodium), a neurologist (who said except for the strange lump in my skull, I was okay), and a nutritionist (who said I need to change my food mix intake).

I still eat BBQ, but not as much as I used to. I walk 2 miles a day (and I celebrated my new birthday by walking 14 miles), and I have added more leaner proteins to the mix.

I agree with the rest of the comments here. Get a second opinion. Most doctors are taking a conservative stance on the LDL/HDL ratios and are quick to prescribe pills.

On the other hand, the doctor did go to school for 8+ years. Who would you rather take advice from: me or Bigmista when it comes to briskets?

This book by Cardiologist Dr Steven Masley who is also a nutritionist and trained chef may be helpful. He definitely does not recommend unrealistic dietary changes as much as lifestyle changes and modifying the diet to help the body heal and protect itself. He is a big proponent of not only eating for health but enjoyment.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/30-Day-Heart-Tune-Up-Breakthrough-Medical/dp/1455547115/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467044845&sr=1-1&keywords=steven+masley+books"]The 30-Day Heart Tune-Up: A Breakthrough Medical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: Steven Masley, Douglas D. Schocken: 9781455547111: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I had a friend who had major heart issues. His doctor recommended that he switch from beef to venison, it has very little fat.

Vegan... BAH!!! The doc is a QUACK!!! My dad had a double bypass and then a triple bypass a number of years later. Mom changed his diet a bit by cutting out a lot of carbs and cut down on the fat and added more veggies. He ended up living over 20 years after the last bypass. Still enjoyed his deserts and still enjoyed his meat.

Cut out as many carbs as he can!

Back