THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

crlova2

Hello all,

My brother is about to graduate college and did a couple Co-ops in Texas for about a year in total. He fell in love with texas bbq and now that he is moving there for good he wants to learn to make great bqq. I believe he wants to learn how to smoke various meats. I am wondering what you all would recommend as a good instructional/informative book or gift to give him would be that relates to smoking bqq. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Charlie

Peace, Love, and barbecue by Mike Mills is a pretty good start. Our own Dr. Barbecue has several good ones, there are just a ton of good ones out there. Also Steve Raichlen (sp?) has some informational ones as well.

Give him a pointer to this site.

I have only a couple of books/videos. Not all that great. Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson BBQ book is OK. But you might consider getting him a smoker... the Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" or 22" would be my recommendation for a happy brother.

My favorite one (and I have a bunch of them) is Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. It not only has some really great recipes, it also explains a lot of the so called "secrets".

This place is a perfect place to pick up anything on request.
A guy could read at this site for months and not be through it all.

BUT, if it's books he wants, I have BBQ USA and How to Grill by Steve Raichlen and both are great. I started out with How to Grill and then picked up BBQ USA later. BBQ USA has a lot about the history and regional BBQ in the reading and also has TONS of great recipes of regional BBQ.

I've heard a lot about Lang's Serious BBQ, but do not have that one.

Seriously, though.......have him join this website and for even better benefits, be a paying subscriber. :thumb:

I've read a number of barbecue books, and I still reference one or two of them now & again for recipe ideas. However, honestly, I started with books and was very frustrated and didnt do very well. I ended up learning what folks here tell you readily by working and talking to competition teams. Not everyone has this (competition teams) at their disposal. That's why I HIGHLY suggest have him join here in addition to getting him a good book or two. People here freely share recipes, how to's, and just as important, what NOT to do and share mistakes (which books tend to omit). It's a great place, really.

A very good book (with a huge exception) that I have is Smoke & Spice. It's great and talks all about it. HOWEVER, the authors go on and on about their recommendation to cook from 200 to 220. I came away from this (early on) that I need to get to 200 and maintain that temperature. Honestly, that's nonsense, and I ruined many a cut of meat trying to do exactly as they described. Also, they didnt stress the difference in surface temperatures vs. the thermometer located/attached on your smoker. Once I really began monitoring the surface temps carefully, and brought them up to 240-255 I was in hog (barbecue) heaven. So, other than that, the book is VERY good.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will probably just get him a membership to this site as some suggested. I have learned more from home brewing forums than from any homebrewing book so I guess it should probably be the same with BBQ forums.

Back