When it rains, what do you do?

I use a patio umbrella. You can probably find somthing fairly cheap on craigslist.

I also use an umbrella. I think thoey bolts u-brackets to his deck to keep his umbrella in place. If you just want to keep water out of the exhaust you could try the exhaust vent caps they sell at HD or Lowe's. They work on my shirley.

When it rains I thank God for the much needed moisture.

Yet, I bought two U shaped conduit clamps and bolted them to the the top and bottom support of my deck rail. I use it to block rain and to provide me some shade.

You can see the top clamp above the propane tank in this picture:

D9A103FA-C455-486D-A9F4-5A2A39090285_zps8dkorbln.jpg

Here's a better picture:

IMG_3753_zpsohnkgujv.jpg

I have a retractable awning. Unless you have a way to secure the far end they will flap around in a mild wind. I trust an umbrella more. The awning is great when there is no wind.

Cover the deck is great but I also just use an easy up on the patio we get rain here once in awhile

Maybe it's a good thing if the pellet grill gets wet

The house faces west with woods in the back, so it really only gets sun from around 10AM to 2 pm. We don't spend much time there mid day so the awning wouldn't get much use. I did Google them, and some are very nice, but expensive!

I've received a ton of great advice from y'all. I'm thinking either some tarp contraption, a blanket, patio umbrella or nothing, just let it get wet which MAK says is ok.

This was my answer.

I know OP said nothing major but that deck is the perfect candidate for a retractable awning. It will double your enjoyment of the space for sure

Oh, I agree with the person above who vetoed the welders blanket idea. I bought one for my WSM and waited until the day I could pull it out and use it. Finally got cold enough and yank it out and wrap her up with it. Worked great.

Except I realized I had fiberglass shards in my hands. If they could get in my hands that easy, whats to say they couldn't make their way onto the smoker or food. No thanks. Gave it to a buddy that welds...

After years and years of dealing with the same issue I finally broke down and spent the money on a decent offset umbrella. Should've done it along time ago!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 49
I use tarps from Harbor Frieght, spring clamps, ladder and some rope. It's a kinda sorta lean-to.

I use it rarely, because it doesn't rain here.

Myself, we move the kettle to the full width 8 foot deep front porch if we get caught by heavy rain. Fortunately, our old One-Touch has TWO handles, so my wife & I can pick it up & carry it from back deck to front porch. Try that with a "modern" OTS with a single handle - while it's burning. For that matter, try to move one even when it's cold a block or so to the beach or way into a large public park! The bean counters at Weber should be ashamed!

As to your problem, bob3, can you stand the thought of 2 pipe/conduit straps on one of your deck posts to hold a patio umbrella?

I use a welding blanket similar to the one below. It is carbonized fiber NOT fiberglass, and works great. You can find them on eBay, Amazon, Northern Tools and several other sites.

Steiner Velvet Shield Welding Blanket — Carbonized Fiber, Black, 4ft. x 6ft., Model# 316-4X6

Back