putting the LSG VO thru it's paces...

The Wookiee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
been cooking the heck out of terry's old LSG VO since getting it... trying everything everywhich way but loose.

today = simple baby back ribs. rub = 2 parts (by weight) fresh ground pepper 1 part salt (split evenly between kosher & seasoned lowry's) applied after gentle rub with olive oil. 275. 3.5 hours. post oak. sauced at 2&3/4hr mark. transported in carlisle warmer... accompanied by smoked mac&cheese and basic smoked beans. served about 2hrs after pulling them. dear old friend who i've been with/near for the last 19 years said that they were easily the best ribs i've ever made. i've made a LOT of ribs and he has eaten a great deal of them from all kinds of cookers... he said 'you killed the white whale - the perfect rib'. they indeed were damned tasty. even on ribs salt and pepper can be magic, but as opposed to brisket/butts the ribs do like a little sauce to round them out. pics attached (1 rack was salt/sugar only for kids with ketchup/vinegar sauce; the little nubs were for snacking along the way rubbed with dizzy pig ghost).

last saturday = the 1st big cook and boy was it fun to do.

on the smoker:
1 13lb prime packer brisket
1 8.5lb pork shoulder
6 full slabs of baby backs
4 slabs of short plate beef ribs (4ribs/plate)
2.5 lb filet steelhead
12 jalapeno cheddar links
12 johnsonville brats
18 foot long beef dogs
no boil mac& cheese
beans

also did slaw & potato salad and some apps etc… final tally was 49 humans fed. a few didn’t show & remnant food sent home with happy stuffed eaters… post oak & hickory @ goal temp 275. everything seasoned with only salt and pepper (1 slabs kids ribs with sugar and salt) and pork ribs got a glaze of sauce in final 45 min. brisket & pork ribs were A/A+. beef ribs A/A-. shoulder was stubborn and didn’t get to go as long as it needed (took longer than the 2 i did last week to time it out despite an hour buffer it needed a bit longer and wasn’t quite to my liking) = B. those that ate the fish seemed to love it but i didn’t try it… good clean fire, rained for a bit more than half of the cook (eats more logs with rain) but outstanding flavor. smoke ring on the brats was so deep there was only a pencil-size circle of no ring in the middle… smoker to warmer to serve was awesome. no other device used for all that damned food and it was all on time and great (except the shoulder as above). sadly, only took one pic as somewhere a few hours in... apologies to the brethren (i know, i know - no pics = didn't happen).

my wife calls the cooker “the precious”… love this thing. and it has one hell of a story to tell i share with folks while they pop their cap on the "Terry's Pit" opener while giving them the tour… 2 cooks coming up this summer for >100 folks; think the beast can handle it for sure.

MOG

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
forgot to show how i ultimately got her damned near level... the slab it's on was not close enough for my liking as i was getting some front back variance, in addition to side to side (which was reasonably managed with the tuning plates). got a floor jack and used a bottle jack to prop her up and get it under there... the near right wheel still touches but with only mild pressure on it and it evened things out well... good enough for government work.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 137
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 135
Wow thats a lot of food and still looks like a lot of real estate left. Nice job.

I can't imagine the looks on your friends faces as they hear the long, tragic shipping story...

Sure glad she is doing good for you and I am happy that I found the right home for her. I wish y'all a lifetime or two of great cooks on her.

I can't imagine the looks on your friends faces as they hear the long, tragic shipping story...

Sure glad she is doing good for you and I am happy that I found the right home for her. I wish y'all a lifetime or two of great cooks on her.

My glass of life tends to be 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty... The beast has character from the journey and prior life and is churning away up here. And if I'd ordered straight from chris @ lsg I very likely wouldn't have folded in to the brethren, which would be a damned shame as I love seeing what all the other BBQ lunatics out there are up to.

Given the size of it I should be able to squeeze at least two lifetimes of food from it!

I have the 24"x24" VO from LSG. Amazing cooking machines. The airflow is truly outstanding. Glad you are enjoying your smoker as much as I am.

I pretty much built my vertical offset based on these cookers. I farkin love it!! There's some things I skipped out on vs the LSG smoker. Such as, didn't build tuning plates and didn't add the rounded bottom for drainage. Overall I really love having a vertical offset. Mine seems to work just as good as any high end rig I've seen on here. The LSG vertical offsets are great looking cookers.

Glad your enjoying it wookie! That's some great looking food

I have the 24"x24" VO from LSG. Amazing cooking machines. The airflow is truly outstanding. Glad you are enjoying your smoker as much as I am.

Airflow for sure. I did one rib cook adjusting damper to and fro between logs and another max flow damper wide open the whole time (with door cracked open while I was out with it) and despite using about 50% more wood, the airflow was constantly zipping and the food was better... So I've been ripping wide open damper and controlling temp by log size and adjusting coals/logs rather than with the damper...

Back