Charcoal vs Propane

extra300

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have an 18" WSM with a IQ 110 and I like the smoker and the results, but it uses a lot of fuel and isn't the easiest to clean when your only cooking for 2 people.

So I was thinking about either getting the 14" WSM because overall it is smaller, use less fuel and easier to clean, or get a small vertical gas smoker.

suggestions?

thanks

My 14 wsm rocks, the coal ring right full holds around 1 bucket of coal, burns a long time for that amount of coal. Its by far the most efficient cooker i have used yet.

since i got my 14" WSM the 18 and 22 are getting rusty...
Best smoker Weber came with, for 2 people you'll never need anything else.. (besides an 18" OTG along with Cajun Bandit rotisserie and stacker :) )

I would go with the small WSM, it's a great smoker! - and 2 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-812-9236-S-Rib-Rack-Grilling/dp/B00E3GOB6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406387461&sr=8-1&keywords=ribs+rack&dpPl=1"]Amazon.com : Brinkmann 812-9236-S Rib Rack for Grilling : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OHSG3YzZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51OHSG3YzZL[/ame]

Build a UDS or a Mini shoot you could build both for the price of that 14"

14" wsm. Just clean the grates, dump the Ash and rinse the water bowl.

Never cooked on a WSM but, I thought they were supposed to be fuel efficient. No?

My first smoker was a Mr.Meat bullet type smoker.. Essentially a Brinkmann.. The guy that gave it to me must have tired with the temperature control in the thing with charcoal..

So he took a side burner from a gas grill and used that instead.. Worked wonderfully with a small cast iron pan on top with wood.. You could probably do something similar with your WSM.

I would just try to figure out why it is burning a lot of charcoal when it shouldn't be, unless you consider the normal amount a WSM burns to be a lot. Are you using water in the pan? I burn less fuel since I stopped using water.

Thanks for the replies, I just went and picked up the 14" WSM from walmart.

This will be a better size to clean and use less fuel. I only cook for 2 and I already had the IQ, made sense.

Back