How Long to get Spatched Chickens Done

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Realizing that this is about like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" I'd still like to get some idea. I've got to spatched birds on running between 225 and 275 (as I learn to control heat on my Brazos). I don't like to open the CC and would like to have a rough idea, please.

TIA

On my Weber 26.75 OTG at 275*-300* running a Stubbs charcoal snake, no more than a couple hours. Hope this helps some.

I don't cook by time just temp but on my 22.5" Weber it's usually about an hour +
if you want crispy skin you need to run north of 300° or throw it under the broiler for a few minutes...YMMV

It depends on the size of the chicken but I would start checking it at 90 minutes.

We cook ours @ 350 and it takes just over an hour for a 5lb bird. High heat does great for bite through skin.

So, the birds stayed on for about 3 hours. I had one short period when temps dropped to 190°. The rest of the time it cycled between 225-250°.

They were rubbed with EVOO, garlic granules, coarse ground black pepper and sea salt. The skin was not crunchy but definitely not rubbery. We ate one and gave the other to our neighbor. I got kudos.

Last edited:
Those birds look good, I usually cook just a little warmer like 275 to 300° and that's about an hour and a half

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
^^ Those birds look great! What rub did you use?

Back