Primo XL vs Big Joe vs BGE XL

I've owned both BGE and KJ. I ever so slightly favor the KJ. The Primo XL I just did not like, was not a fan of the fit/finish, especially the hinge. The shape is cool though.

Let me add. With the aforementioned being said. You should be able to make great BBQ on any of the 3 vessels.

Ok...
Just back in. I thought long and hard on it. And ended up with [drum roll]:

The Big Green Egg (BGE) XL.

It was between the Primio XL and the BGE XL.

I'd have likely saved about $200 after it was all done and over with between the two with the deals and options compared 1:1.

Likely as not, the deciding factor was...the Primo Dealer here did NOT have an XL model for me to look at and touch physically. Had I seen and been able to feel it, and picture cooking what I will cook in it....I might have gone that way.

One other thing was, and again, due to not being able to see the Primo XL in person...I could not picture a good set up with using a Wok to stir fry on it with concentrated high heat in one spot like I have seen with the BGE using true WooHoo2 (sp?) and a 16" or 19" wok, paired with a lump reducer ring. IN the BGE XL, that looks like it would easily work.

I know that isn't BBQ, but hey, if you can squeeze one more major functionality into a cooker, why not?

So, I plunked down and after taxes I got the BGE for $2007. That's BGE XL, plus nest with wheels, plus the shelves, plus a plate setter, plus the BGE XL "handle" thing you attach on the back for moving it around more readily, plus the cover...plus high NOLA tax.

The only thing I regret, is not having this idea a few weeks back when we had a State Sales Tax FREE weekend..I could have saved at least 4% off this..or about $80.

When I got there I was about to put the plastic down...and asked "When will this be delivered?" They said...."ooooh....our delivery days are Tue and Thur..and too late for today. I took the money back and said "well, deals off, I need this for this weekend....". They called a mgr and said it would be Tues.
I left politely and said, "Well, here's my contact info, you might want to speak to the mgr again about this. The folks selling the Primo XL have no problem getting this to me me by tomorrow. I'm gonna go eat lunch, and give ya'll a bit of time to see if you can work this out and I left.
I was eating sushi..and got the call.."No Problem sir, we can get it there by tomorrow afternoon, and we'll cut the delivery fee in half...and use one guy instead of two as quoted".

It is a small indie hardware shop..so, I appreciate they have small staff, etc....but I was polite and said what I wanted and felt that by laying down about $2K..they could dig up someone to deliver it.
I own nothing but a 2-seat sports car..so, it isn't possible for me to get it myself. And I've been stewing on this all week..and really want it to work with THIS weekend....practice for Labor Day weekend when I hope to have visitors over and cook for them.

Anyway...choice made, deal done...I'm happy with it...and I again THANK everyone for the great participation on my threads here.

You helped me make an informed decisions, and I hope these threads may help someone else out there searching for the same options.

cayenne

Nice job my brotha. You're gonna love it. I recommend smoking a ton of stuff this weekend. It's all you'll want to do anyway. You're single dude. Live it up. Get yourself some beers, and start by smoking a fatty (meat and/or other wise... :rockon:) maybe some ribs, try a pizza or two, a couple chickens, maybe a pork butt or brisket (or both) and top it off Sunday night with a couple of ribeyes. By Monday, you'll have gone through the gauntlet and be a pro for Labor Day. :thumb:

Back