texas bbq trip

Nice picture. How was the BBQ on a scale of 1-10? The fella is supposed to be the Mecca of BBQ in central Texas. I'd like to go someday, but I'm not waiting in line two hours before open or hoping I can get a preorder.

I do appreciate his YouTube videos and sharing of BBQ know how.

A 10. I waited 3 1/2 hours,but I met a lot of folks.colorado,ohio, australia, and new zeland. I gave the guy working the line a bluzieQ t-shirt,and Aaron Franklin one too.

Nice picture. How was the BBQ on a scale of 1-10? The fella is supposed to be the Mecca of BBQ in central Texas. I'd like to go someday, but I'm not waiting in line two hours before open or hoping I can get a preorder.

I do appreciate his YouTube videos and sharing of BBQ know how.

lol, try 4

Yeah, it is more like 4 hours. I've done it and I'd do it again - I've never once heard someone say they went to Franklin's and regretted it. If you know what you'r getting into, it's all good. I spent the time catching up with my sister, meeting Gore, shooting the breeze with the other folks in line. Some folks have a good time no matter where they are, but the line thing definitely isn't for everybody. As for pre-ordereing - I think they're around 5 weeks out, so you gotta call way ahead of time.

If the Franklin's deal isn't appealing, there are many other great spots around Austin and Central TX to check out and get mind blowing BBQ - John Mueller, La BBQ, Stiles Switch, the Lockhart places, Taylor TX, Elgin, etc. It's just mind blowing how much incredible food there is around there - and that's just BBQ - we ain't even talking Tex Mex yet! :shocked:

I'm not sure when, but I definitely want to go back out there and hit the places I've missed - and keep going back until I've been to all of 'em! :hungry:

Yeah, it is more like 4 hours. I've done it and I'd do it again - I've never once heard someone say they went to Franklin's and regretted it. If you know what you'r getting into, it's all good. I spent the time catching up with my sister, meeting Gore, shooting the breeze with the other folks in line. Some folks have a good time no matter where they are, but the line thing definitely isn't for everybody. As for pre-ordereing - I think they're around 5 weeks out, so you gotta call way ahead of time.

If the Franklin's deal isn't appealing, there are many other great spots around Austin and Central TX to check out and get mind blowing BBQ - John Mueller, La BBQ, Stiles Switch, the Lockhart places, Taylor TX, Elgin, etc. It's just mind blowing how much incredible food there is around there - and that's just BBQ - we ain't even talking Tex Mex yet! :shocked:

I'm not sure when, but I definitely want to go back out there and hit the places I've missed - and keep going back until I've been to all of 'em! :hungry:
To add to that list of Q joints... Snow's BBQ in Lexington and for some of the very best sausage in Texas one should go to the oldest Q joint in Texas, Southside Market in Elgin which has been operating since 1882! They're finally building at another location (Bastrop) but I'd go to the original spot where the real history and atmosphere is.:wink:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Southside is great - and may as well hit Meyer's while you're out that way! I can't remember which of those spots it was, but I had some of the best chicken I've ever had there, oddly enough. Snow's is at the very top of my list of where I want to go next.

Southside is great - and may as well hit Meyer's while you're out that way! I can't remember which of those spots it was, but I had some of the best chicken I've ever had there, oddly enough. Snow's is at the very top of my list of where I want to go next.
Yeah, you really have to plan ahead for Snow's, they're only open on Saturdays and usually sold out by 10:30 or 11:00 A.M.!!! BBQ for BREAKFAST anyone?!? LOL!:-D

• Thanks
Definitely don't regret Franklin's The line was a blast. It was the shortest 3 hours ever. Also, the BBQ was quite memorable. There are lots of great BBQ joints in Austin.

gtr would have to mention Mueller's ... farker. :tsk:

Yeah, don't forget John Mueller's is closed on Wednesday, so if you're going to walk through the TX heat for a mile and a half or so to go there, don't do it on Wednesday.

IMG_2543.jpg

Dang it ya, I've gotta go back!

• Thanks
Yeah, don't forget John Mueller's is closed on Wednesday, so if you're going to walk through the TX heat for a mile and a half or so to go there, don't do it on Wednesday.

IMG_2543.jpg

John just announced today that he is going 7 days a week.

Back