Going to Dallas....

pcshrews

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
All,

I am heading to Dallas next week for work. When I am in town, I will usually look to visit as many of the local BBQ joints there as time allows. I was hoping to get some local advice or recommedations on your favorite spot around town to add on my list....Any opinions???

I have been to the Lockhart Smokehouse, Hard Eight, Sonny's, Brother's and a few others. Would love the input and thks for the advice!

railhead in fort worth is great...depending no where u r in dallas...might not be TOO far of a drive...

Pecan Lodge, North Main BBQ in Euless, Mike Anderson's for the bacon wrapped whole smoked quail.

If your going as far as Lockhart you might consider visiting Aaron Franklins BBQ in Austin. You can check out all his You Tube videos and how to make all types of BBQ properly without adding unnecessarily complexity. He really hits on all the things that really count and doesn't waste time and money complicating. I'm not sure if he still has the long lines of people waiting for opening (11:00AM I think). I would check first.

If your going as far as Lockhart you might consider visiting Aaron Franklins BBQ in Austin. You can check out all his You Tube videos and how to make all types of BBQ properly without adding unnecessarily complexity. He really hits on all the things that really count and doesn't waste time and money complicating. I'm not sure if he still has the long lines of people waiting for opening (11:00AM I think). I would check first.

Pretty sure he was talking about Lockhart the restaurant (in Dallas) and not the town.

As for where to go... Pecan Lodge has a new location in Deep Ellum. Lines are still crazy but they are now open for dinner Fri and Sat. For a real Texas BBQ experience minus the trendy wanker aspect, pop up to McKinney and go to Hutchins.

Another vote for Hutchins in McKinney, and get the all you can eat plate so you can eat everything. The ribs and brisket are nuts.

3 stacks in frisco is quite good, order burnt ends by the pound there and make sure to order the bacon wrapped jalapeños. They have a great selection of craft beers as well.

Thanks to all for the input! I did mean the Lockheart in Dallas/Plano. It was the best I have had in the area so far + never tried shoulder clod before. That was fantastic!

Looks like I may need to stay the weekend! Will report back on the journey, thks!

Just curious...has anyone been to Jambo's place in Rendon? I have been wondering if its worth the drive and if they sell pits there as well. I have never seen a Jambo pit up close. More BBQ eye candy is never a bad thing!

Smitty has been there a couple of times. It is close to him. The consensus seems to be good but not great from everything I've heard. The giant sandwich (can't remember the name) seems like the big winner. For everything else, I don't think it will be worth the drive. As unbelievable as it is, he cooks on a gas assist smoker there. I am pretty sure he has no smoker stock at the restaurant.

Thks for the heads up! I heard he was using a gasser as well but really want to checkout his pits. If they were not there after the drive out, I would be PO'd...

thks!

Paul

Just north of DFW is "Big Racks BBQ and Sports Grill" that is more like Hooters than the normal Q joint! I had some awesome pulled pork there! Scenery is GREAT too!!!

Just north of DFW is "Big Racks BBQ and Sports Grill" that is more like Hooters than the normal Q joint! I had some awesome pulled pork there! Scenery is GREAT too!!!
It is changing to a Bakers Ribs soon...

I had a good visit to the fine city of Dallas last week. I was able to take in two BBQ's while there and wanted to post some pics of the visit. Thanks to all who made recommendations. I wrote them all down and will hopefully get back there again in the future.

My first stop was to Hutchins BBQ. All I can say was...it was fantastic. Everything you would expect out of BBQ joint. Friendly comfortable atmosphere with great service & food of course. Pics below:

photo1_zpsd77a6bf8.jpg

photo2_zps049437e9.jpg

photo3_zpsefc31a8f.jpg

Next up, I went to the Lockheart Smokehouse in Plano. I have been there before but it has been a reliable take for good Que. I highly recommend it! A new take was their bloody mary. Served with two blue cheese stuffed olives, a nice cube of brisket, & sausage!!! Dunking the meat into the drink for added flavor is not only a good idea but recommended by the drink's inventor behind the bar. It was a quality drink. They add some of their BBQ sause + siracha for a nice blend of sweetness and heat. Enjoy!

photo4_zps411835c6.jpg

photo1_zps6cfcbd0f.jpg

photo2_zps9734bc1a.jpg

Not to hijack this thread but I didn't want to create a new one. Any places that open early where I could pick up food for a tail gate party? I am flying out Friday from San Francisco to Dallas for the 49ers vs. Cowboys game for the Season Opener. Taking my uncle who is a huge Cowboys fan to see them for the first time there. We wanted to tail gate but obviously won't have a grill or anything to use so we were looking to see if we can buy food from somewhere pre made to just take and eat or make friends with someone to maybe reheat some food. I am also looking at trying out Lockhart Smokehouse based on the recommendations in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Earliest that I know of is Cattleack. They open at 10:30 on Thursday and Friday.

Back