Boneless beef "chuck" ribs. How to cook?

mattdean1003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up these absolutely beautiful boneless chuck "ribs" at Walmart earlier this week and intended on cooking them later, but the freezer didn't shut all the way and these, a pack of chicken and a portioned pound of ground beef were all PARTIALLY thawed, and instead of risking contamination, they went into the fridge to defrost. The culprit was a pack of chicken I was determined to pack into the door, which didn't work as planned. Anyway, how should I cook these? Thought about grilling them but I do have a cast iron skillet, and with this marbling, I want them to turn out the best they can. I've never had my hands on a piece of meat this marbled before and I want to take the absolute most advantage possible of it.

I'm thinking salt/pepper and a HOT AS HELL cast iron skillet.

I would salt and pepper also but cook over a hot grill. Maybe even a reverse sear to get some smoke in it depending on my mood.

I've slow smoked these a few times and never been happy with the tenderness so next time I'll be doing them over slow heat. Let us know what you do and how it goes please.

Chuck is going to be a bit tougher than a lot of beef cuts. You'll want to break down that marbling before taking a bite. However you cook it, you're looking for probe tender to know it's done. Sear or reverse sear would add a nice crust if you're looking to use the CI.

How about this?

Smoke them or do a sear for flavor, then put them in a crock pot with broth or beer and whatever veggies you like. I would do that and maybe some diced green chile and onion. Chuck is pretty tough but has great flavor ( I love the pepper stout beef. I even changed it up and did it with a bunch of onions I had instead of peppers. )

Your only limitations are your taste buds and imagination. The key is slow so you melt that connective tissue. Another one I do ( but use the crock pot and a roast, but am going to try with smoking for the first few hours next time.) is take chuck roast and put it in the crock pot and a jar of pepperoncini peppers. Pull the stems off and pour them in with the juice, then add a little water and SPG. Cook it low and slow until it can be shredded. Serve on onion buns with the toppings or cheese of your choice. The smaller pieces should give you more surface area and extra flavor.

Let us know what you do, and how it was.

I just cooked some a couple days ago. I cooked them indirect for three hours at about 225.Then in to some foil with beef broth,onion and garlic. Fork tender.

Have never made these but I would be tempted to make burnt ends out of them but inject them with some spicy butter after you cube them up and toss in some more rub

Have never made these but I would be tempted to make burnt ends out of them but inject them with some spicy butter after you cube them up and toss in some more rub

^^ this^^... its a tougher cut of beef, so even though they look great (and the do!) its not like a well marbeled sirloin

You don't want to grill these like a steak. They will be like trying to eat a boot.

They need to be slow cooked to break down the tough fibers.

Whoever put that "great for grilling" sticker on there obviously has never been on this site.:laugh:

Back