More burger talk

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This weekend I did a VERY simple cook: 14 burgers, no sides, no nuthin'. My teenage son did some sliced potatoes in the oven (slice thin, toss with olive oil, lay out on baking sheet, sprinkle with Lawry's seasoned salt).

I fired up the Weber one-touch silver with a pretty good sized pile of KBB. Set it up as a two-zone: thick layer of hot coals covering 1/3 of the grate, the rest makes up the cooler zone. Tossed some hickory chunks on the coals.

80/20 ground chuck, loosely formed up patties probably about 7 oz each (didn't weight them). Sprinkled each with SPOG.

Laid out about half of them over direct heat, and the rest shoved on the other side. Never have done it this way before. The idea was to cook some up with what I consider the "normal" way (about 4 1/2 minutes on each side then pull), bring them in so peoples can start eating. Once I pulled them, I flipped the ones still on the grill and left them as-is in-place for another 10 minutes. Then I transferred them over to the direct-heat for about 2 minutes on each side. You got it: a reverse-sear.

Both types came out really good. After being in a long burger rut I seem to have found my way again. The reverse-sears I probably left on too long: one minute hot sear on each side would have left them just right. Didn't keep me from eating two of 'em.

My son asked that I make him a cheese-stuffed patty. This isn't part of my typical repertoire, but I figured what the heck. Made about a 4 oz super thin patty, piled some shredded Kojak on it, and put a similar patty on top then crimped all around the edges. My son ended up not eating the burger (hardly ever eats any beef), so I had it the next day for breakfast. Dang, it was really good! There was no pool of melted cheese in the middle; rather, the cheese had more or less melted and permeated the meat, making it a real moist and delicious treat. I'll definitely be doing some more of these again.

Reverse searing makes great flavor for burgers and steaks...

Learning the timing to keep them medium isn't a trick process, you'll learn the timing without any effort.

...Learning the timing to keep them medium isn't a trick process, you'll learn the timing without any effort.

That's what I'm thinking. This was only my second reverse-sear effort, and it's almost where I want it. One thing I need to start doing is to put a big dimple in the middle to keep them from drawing up round so much.

I have never tried cooking burgers like that but will experiment with it.

Back