Is this red oak.

Attachments

• 2014-04-16 13.37.36.jpg
    2014-04-16 13.37.36.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 2014-04-16 13.37.18.jpg
    2014-04-16 13.37.18.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 183
That's was my first thought too. It's a pallet so I'm not sure. It looks like red oak from the pics I found just want to be sure before I waste my time cutting it up.

Looks like Oak to me. Is there a very light pink hue in the hard, not porous, part of the wood? If so it is probably Red Oak.

Personally would not use pallet wood for anything but a bonfire. Could be treated with some unknown chemical or picked up some other foreign substance during its lifetime.

Personally would not use pallet wood for anything but a bonfire. Could be treated with some unknown chemical or picked up some other foreign substance during its lifetime.

i have to agree. I would not put it in the smoker

My pallet racks looked clean when I sorted them at work, after the first rain on them, I looked like oil or something else washed out of them. It definitely wasn't dirt.

Some kind of oak.+1 on not using pallet wood.Like your ex girlfriend...you never know where she's been.

Agreed, I cut up pallets for my fire pit but since I don't know where they've been I don't let them near my dinner!

Bottom pic is an oak. Hard to say for sure, but I don't think the top one is.

I wouldn't burn it though. Who knows what they treat pallets with. I work in a warehouse, and am a woodworker as a hobby. I see pallets, especially from china, made with everything from mahogany to lacewood to oak to maple (sometimes all on the same pallet) but I wouldn't consume anything cooked with it. You have no idea where it's from or what they did to it.

Definitely Oak. Can't tell from the pics, if red or white though. Looks like red. I think they use whatever is cheapest when making pallets. I have a cabinet shop and use oak and cherry scraps to smoke with. Never used pallet wood. You never know what it has been in contact with. Burn out a UDS with it.:thumb:

It is most likely oak. We ship on pallets worldwide every day. Most are treated with a pesticide. They are required to be if they are leaving the USA, it is a measure to keep non native species under control.

Oak - put money on it. Probably Red Oak. I have but after reading the above probably won't cook with pallet wood again.

Back