Used Komodo Kamado value

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey guys. My boss told me about a friend of his that has a crazy looking grill in their garage that never gets used. I guess they dont know how to properly use it but had the money and thought it looked cool. He contacted them for me saying I was interested. I believe it is a 23" about 3 years old. Dont know what accessories or condition it is in. With as popular as the other kamados are now a days what would you think a good price for this would be? Compared to the other kamados how fragile are they. Should I worry about strapping it in my trailer and hauling it to competitions? Thanks

I am about to take delivery of a 23 and a 32 Komodo Kamado. You are looking st about a 4500 US price tag to start plus any accessories you may have. They are bullet proof and made from refractory cement as opposed to ceramic and will last a lifetime.

Get a photo to confirm that it is actually a KK and not a K7 Richard Johnson special piece of crap!!

You are also looking at about 650 pounds so bring some help to get that bucket loaded!!

Let me know what I can do to help if you have any questions.

I would think fair value depending on condition is about 2000-2500. Anything better than that would be a bonus!!!

No warranty but there has never been a claim made for warranty to date!!

Find out what tile finish it is and I can lock a price down a bit better for you

I just read about mobility for comps... Im not sure that would be a great idea!!

If you pass on it, please pass you're location and I will let others know that may be in the area. This could be a real score!!!

Trust, but verify. Nothing worse than paying a premium price for knockoff quality.

here are my new KKs that are set to arrive in the next two weeks. I can't wait to get them. This is a 23" Ultimate and a 32" Big Bad

post-2504-0-89392100-1443234944_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Still waiting to here about it. I am not 100% sure she has a KK but based on photos I showed my boss he said it looks identical to it so who knows. Her husband bought it and is no longer in the picture. I guess she has no idea how to use it and just wants it gone. I will keep you all updated once I find out and if she is asking more than I am willing to pay I will let you all know so someone else can jump on it.

It is only a few years old so I would imagine it is the newer KK. What are the standard options that came with it so I can make sure everything is there when I get a chance to take a look at it. Outside of checking inside for cracks around the firebox is there any other place I should pay close attention to. Also, What is the best way of getting this home? Using the comp trailer and strapping it down or having a few buddies lift it up in the ol superduty? Want to make sure it doesnt crack

Head over to kamadoguru.com and post pics when you get them. The owner of Komodo Kamado posts there regularly. He could tell you what to look for.

The firebox is refractory cement, crazy heavy duty should never crack. The seal is food grade silicone not felt, I'd make sure it's in good shape, not cracked (although not difficult to replace) hinge is heavy duty, should be able to lift the heavy hood with fingers. The K7 version was famous for tiles falling off so take a look at the tile or pebble job. If it's the real deal depending on price if your not interested I'd definitely be interested(especially if it's cobalt or terra cotta blue) Best way to transport is probably crate it and tie it down, get a lift gate truck cause it's crazy heavy. More info head to http://komodokamadoforum.com Dennis the owner posts there all the time. A picture there and they can give you exactly what it is

Well this is only about a year after I started this thread. I actually got so busy and completely forgot about it until 3 weeks ago when my boss told me that the lady was got a divorce and went postal on the KK with a hammer. I know I cried when I heard so now knowing it is damaged I finally got pictures of it. It looks like a lot of tile damage but also a huge gash in the side. I called and spoke with Dennis who said should be fine as long as it is not deeper than the insulation layer. What are your all thoughts on it and value of it now?
X6E7UNy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lsmsfdJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tYJN12t.jpg

Yeah some serious damage. I love projects so I figured I can work on it. Dennis said he can send me tiles to replace I will just have to be careful to remove the partially broken pieces. Thought about either making a mold of the gauges in the side or just filling it with JB weld or a hard sealant then adding tile over it. I really wish it was just the top both you can tell its top and bottom. Dennis said the latch is going to be a pain. I will have to remove and weld on new. I can see the bottom draft door is missing and the plug for the BBQ Guru port as well. I am probably looking at $500 in missing parts at least and I havent had a chance to look at the inside yet. I def want it as I think will be a great grab but dont want to over pay.

Oh man, that hurts just looking at it. It's amazing how idiotically and pointlessly destructive one can be with pent up anger. I think everybody has been there at some point in life, but that is quite the reminder of it.

These things are beautiful cooking objects. Art-like if you ask me. So if the value of these lie in the art, it has been made worthless.

If the value lies purely in its cooking ability, you could get a lot of other good cookers brand new and shipped for not that much money compared to a used KK.

If she ended up keeping this KK legitimately, then she literally hurt no one but herself. But maybe it was worth it to her to to do this? If so, she may be done with it and just want it gone. Maybe you could offer to take it off her hands at no charge to her? Seriously. These things take money to move around anyways (unless you have a truck with that liftgate), not to mention repairs. It's still going to cost you if she lets you take it.

Peronally, I wouldn't get it to just keep it as-is. That thing is a monument to anger. Bad mojo. If it could be refurbished to like new condition at reasonable cost, then maybe. But I wouldnt want that looking at me everytime I want to make a nice meal.

I would go over and look at it and tell her you would have paid $4,000 but since it is damaged you won't pay more than $10. That idiot doesn't even deserve the $10...gee I wonder why the marriage failed.

That lady is crazy. I'm doing a video on this. I hope to have it up soon. It will be interesting to see how people respond. What makes a person act like this?!?
Thank you for the inspiration, Back9Q.

Back