Timeframe

Queencity

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered already, butt, i'm cooking 2 pork butts saturday for a party. Plan on cooking temp at 275-300. Butts are about 10 lbs each. Roughly how many hours am I looking at cooking? I plan to foil, need to pull them before i leave. I have to leave home by 5pm. Thanks in advance

At that temp, you should be good at about 12 hours. I might would give myself 14 hours to be on the safe side. You can always hold them over in a cooler, wrapped in towels or a blanket.

At 275*, and panning / wrapping them when they get the color I like, mine usually take about an hour a pound. Always best to add extra time for resting and what if's...

Jeez, At 275-300 with wrapping I would've guessed maybe 6-8 hours, maybe I'm losing my touch :noidea:

I would start a little earlier than you think you need to. Butts are super forgiving and will keep hot in a cooler for hours if you finish early. Also, if they don't seem to be finishing fast enough, just up your temps. Esp after wrapping you can go 350-400 with no ill effects. I've cooked unwrapped butts at 350 and had them finish in under 5 hours, just as good as an all day cook :thumb:

Thanks all. I've always read they take about an hour per pound but i dont know if its my cooker or the quality of meat but my butts never take as long as i've read elsewhere. My initial thought was 8-9 hours. I think i'll wake up an hour earlier than i planned. Wake @ 4:30am, have em on by 5:15-5:30ish?

Back