Fresh Charred Chili

Camadile

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made some chili last weekend out in the desert that turned out amazing! I used fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob and fresh chilies/onions instead of the canned variety found in most chilies. The only canned items were the beans - black and kidney and a small can of chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce. I cooked it all in the desert over a wash-tub fire pit!

Here are some of the fresh ingredients - two ears of corn, eight tomatoes and fresh black sage:
IMG_0895.JPG

Then I started up the wash tub fire pit:
IMG_0888.JPG

Next, I roasted up the fresh corn on my griddle (cut from the cob) and then seared/roasted the fresh tomatoes on the griddle:
IMG_0893%2B%282%29.JPG

Close-up:
IMG_0918.JPG

Throw the chared tomatoes and corn in the chili pot:
IMG_0909.JPG

Time to sear in the juices of the tri-tip chunks:
IMG_0899.JPG

Tri-tip goes into the pot - Mash it up!
IMG_0912.JPG

Now we sear/char the veggies - Pascillas, red bells, onions and 2-3 jalapenos:
IMG_0927.JPG

Close-up:
IMG_0915.JPG

Add the beans, a few sage leaves, chopped up chipotle, a little cumin, some chili powder and let the pot bubble for a couple hours. Finished chili:
IMG_0934.JPG

Wash tub with griddle at night:
IMG_0980.JPG

Cam

That aint RED but I eat it until I popped like a Tick:tongue: Fresh ingredients, Fire and open air make it all so much better.

Looks great! Love the griddle idea for the fire pit. My brother has a washer tub as well for his, going to have to show him this for sure.

Looks fantastic...I can only imagine how wonderful the flavor must be from all the fresh ingredients!

Thanks Guys! The charring/searing put in a nice smokey background and the chipoltes did the same thing as well as adding some kick. The roasted fresh corn also added a nice sweetness. I just wanted to keep eating it even though I was full!

And yes, it wasn't red! It had the color and consistency of beef stew but oh so much better. I also do the same basic thing with tomatillos, pascillas and pork to make a green chili.

Cam

Awsome cook. Never done tri tip chilli. Putting it on the list of to dos.thanks for the PrOn. :clap:

Awsome cook. Never done tri tip chilli. Putting it on the list of to dos. Thanks for the PrOn. :clap:

I finally got the video for this amazing chili recipe edited and uploaded to YouTube! It's a little long but there are a lot of laughs and it has all the steps and techniques in detail. If you like chili - this is something special!

Here's the link:

[ame]http://youtu.be/_RpC5Jz7b28[/ame]

Enjoy!

Cam

Looks Fabulous! p.s. What's w/ the fence? Are you 'In' or 'Out'?

Chili looks killer:clap2: Thanks for the gid update.

Question: have you ever tried pizza? Lots of pizza guys are starting to use steel instead of stones; just wondering how your griddle with a Weber kettle lid would work?

Absolutely looks wonderful. Might be a little too much heat for a SC boy, but still looks delicious. Never thought of using a washer tub before, but it looks like something that I need to add to my arsenal.

Back