Overnight cooking - risky?

My Stumps Baby gravity fed hopper will hold 12+ hours of fuel when cooking 230-250F. I always cook my Picnics, Butts, and Briskets overnight and so far with no adverse issues. I set up and take a final look at the operation about 10PM and not again till about 7AM. It's nice to have your products off the cooker in the early AM.

Get cooker to 300-325 degrees.

Rub meat and put on cooker fat cap towards fire (weber summit put it fat cap down)

After 4-4.5 hours wrap in foil or butcher paper

At 5.5 - 6hour mark probe thickest part of the flat for doneness. It should be tender so when you probe it, it feels like you are sticking it into a stick of butter left out overnight.

If it is not tender, put back on cooker and check again 30mins later. Repeat until done.

Take brisket off. If wrapped in butcher paper, you can just put it in a cold oven and it will keep in there. If it is wrapped in foil, open the foil for 15-20mins to stop the cooking process. After the 15-20mins put in cold oven and it will keep in there. If you don't want to hold it in the oven, you can put it in a cooler or cambro. If you use a cooler fill up the empty area with blankets/towels/balled up newspaper.

When I have a service for lunch. I'll prep everything the night before and get the fuel loaded in the smoker. Then I wake up at 4am and light off the chimney and get the smoker going.

If I have service for dinner ~6pm I can wake up at 8-9am and have everything done way before dinner.

I like cooking this way, but makes noon footballgames tough to cook for. Those times I still cook overnight.

If your rig and cook area are safe, you will likely be ok doing the overnight thing. The forums are not exactly filled with horror stories related to overnight cooks.
(you do get the "my fire went out- is this still safe to eat?" or the "my fire went out of control and ruined my cook"- but that's about the extent)

Me? I like to sleep at night - and if I have a fire going, I'm awake= so no over night cooks for me.

If you do the HnF briskets (or butts), having them off for noon football is still quite doable: do some previous evening prep and get up with the chickens. If you like to sleep in, you can still do "faster food" - burgers, ribs, wings.

A Weber summit running low and slow has very little airflow so I don't think you can have much of a grease fire unless the lid gets knocked off. Like wise, coals are not likely to escape and it is not likely to run out of fuel or have the fire die out.

With that grill on concrete and a temp alarm, I would have no problem sleeping. You have the right tools for the job so go for it.

I'm surprised by the responses here. I have a UDS and use an Auber pit controller. I don't have any pets and the smoker is secure on a concrete slab. I probably cook overnight >50% of the time. And I sleep like a baby.

I'm surprised by the responses here. I have a UDS and use an Auber pit controller. I don't have any pets and the smoker is secure on a concrete slab. I probably cook overnight >50% of the time. And I sleep like a baby.

Thanks. My thoughts entirely

I'd be fine with the UDS. Area is concrete, ChefAlarm will tip me off to fire problems. If it were really windy, I'd probably box in the vents with some scraps of drywall.

Back