New to smoking - and not happy

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
My grilling has been via an old Sunbeam 2 burner gasser which has served me well for about 20 years. Cast aluminum box, redwood shelves. Awesome grill for what it is -

14293629040_5c6fd84aaf_z.jpg

A couple years ago I decided to bring my Que capabilities to the next level, and tried my hand at smoking. But all I got was flames. Wood chunks in a box or wrapped in foil, didn't matter. The grill's just too hot...

14125683297_6a139d0ba5_z.jpg

So, for Christmas my son got me this Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker, branded under Cabela's name -

16665143504_2fb9261d98_z.jpg

Used it for the first time Memorial Day to cook some chicken at about 310°F. Had oak chunks about 1/2" square and 3" long wrapped in foil with holes, and I couldn't get any smoke. But without the foil, the wood burst into flames.

I didn't think smoking was rocket science...

So, how do you get predictable smoke at various cook temperatures? What am I not seeing here?

Not to start a fight about who's smokers is better than who's. I ditched gas almost completely and loaded up on charcoal/ Haven't had any flame outs or wood chunks catching fire when they shouldn't. Maybe the gas flame ignites things and burns hotter?

since its a "7 in 1" smoker is one of the 7 a way to use it as a charcoal smoker?

If so I would try that

Let me preface this by saying, I have little to no knowledge when it comes to propane smokers. Artificial fuel sort of ruins the point for me.

As a general rule, I would say understand what it is that you are trying to accomplish. For me, I love the process of getting up early, building a fire, and coaxing tough meat into sweet submission throughout the coarse of a day. The real key is the fire. You'll find lots of different cookers that do it lots of different ways. Some are basically fire pits with no temp control, and some are outdoor ovens with exacting temp control.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. So make sure you build a coal base and add to it when you are at your desired temp. Whatever your objective is, enjoy the process!

I'll echo the above. If you want smoke, you need a fire. Make a UDS or buy a cheap Brinkman Bullet and start the process with wood, coals and fire. That is how I started.

Build a UDS.

Doesn't it have a chip tray or chip pan?

P.S. The Good Smoke you can barely see.

I'll echo the above. If you want smoke, you need a fire. Make a UDS or buy a cheap Brinkman Bullet and start the process with wood, coals and fire. That is how I started.

this can be used as a charcoal smoker. I just looked it up

like I said that's what I would try

I'm with buttburner.. Try it as a charcoal smoker. Trying to smolder chips with propane is a lot more work for much less reward. Read up on the minion method, and give it a go.

According to the specs on your smoker....

UPC – 094428253407, Uses propane or charcoal, The versatile 7-in-1 can smoke, frill, boil/steam, camp cook and deep-fry, 19-inch LP gas cooker stand and cast iron burner, 10-1/2 –quart aluminum pot and basket with basket handle drain clip and thermometer, Cool Touch wire handle, Type 1 regulator and hose, Temperature gauge

Got that from this link.........

I've never used a propane smoker so I can't really elaborate on how to get good smoke with propane fuel. I'd GUESS that you can use some sort of pan to put the chunks in and heat them that way like in an electric smoker?

Did you notice the smoke FLAVOR in the final product? As said above, good smoke is often barely (if at all) visible, so maybe the hot temp of the propane fire is just burning the wood very cleanly?

I'm biased, of course, but if you aren't happy with the initial results, perhaps you should look in the manual and see how to set it up as a charcoal smoker and try that? You may like the results better.

I used a propane smoker a long time ago, and actually had good results with it. My suggestion would be to invest in one of those small cast iron smoke boxes. You can find them in any store that carries grills. Then pick up a bag of smoking chips in whatever wood you prefer. The larger chunks aren't going to work. To get the smoke, soak the chips in water for awhile and then place them in the smoker box and the put the box directly on the burner. The other thing, I would strongly suggest is that you use the water pan. My experience was that the propane smokers can be a drier cook, so the water helps. If you keep the hood baffles opened only slightly, it will keep more of the smoke in it. I have to admit though, now that I have a couple of charcoal setups, I can't see myself ever going back to propane.

I have a propane smoker....it sits in the corner of the garage,collecting dust. I understand your frustration.

I'll echo what most in this thread are saying

You will hate smoking bbq if you don't have quality equipment...at least that was my experience

Spend the $$$ on something quality...a WSM, a BGE, UDS, etc...something that can burn for a long time w/ very little maintenance...I promise that will change your outlook on smoking

I could smoke up some Good Q on that 7n1 -may take practice/ trial n error. If you were local to me I'd fiddle with it with ya.

I do prefer charcoal n chunks over any other styles.

I used a propane smoker a long time ago, and actually had good results with it. My suggestion would be to invest in one of those small cast iron smoke boxes. You can find them in any store that carries grills. Then pick up a bag of smoking chips in whatever wood you prefer. The larger chunks aren't going to work. To get the smoke, soak the chips in water for awhile and then place them in the smoker box and the put the box directly on the burner. The other thing, I would strongly suggest is that you use the water pan. My experience was that the propane smokers can be a drier cook, so the water helps. If you keep the hood baffles opened only slightly, it will keep more of the smoke in it. I have to admit though, now that I have a couple of charcoal setups, I can't see myself ever going back to propane.

Don't soak your chips.

Mostly agreed with the general public here. AND, don't know a heckuva lot about propane smokers, so take with a grain of slow-smoked sea salt......

If you decide to try it again as a gas smoker, you may have to soak the chips (geez, did I just say that?)
Reason being is that what MJP MAP said: "that the propane smokers can be a drier cook, so the water helps."
that dry of a cook chamber & the direct heater method, in that PARTICULAR case might be a good idea to run damp woods....

One of the few places it might be necessary....

Try out the charcoal workings.....that will most likely get you on a better, more enjoyable track.......
A lot of times, I think the propane & electric smokers were maybe meat (Freudian slip, s.b. meant for) for "curing" type smoking.....that of fish & game meats, at low, low temperatures & work fine for that....I've seen people do well that way....even my Dad & grand Dad used some electric & propane ones for that purpose.......
I could be off base about all of that, but heck if the rig works with charcoal too, then test it out.....

One last thing & I'll shut my yap......find a cheap Weber Kettle at a garage sale & I'll show you how to knock down some goods while you're figuring out this one.....deal?

A lot of really great advise. Let me just say to stick with it and keep trying to learn how to do good BBQ. It is worth it!

:wacko:Just so nobody thinks I'm crazy, I don't use wet chips with charcoal, and in fact just use the larger chunks dry. Propane is obviously constant flame, so the wet chips just seem to produce more smoke vs the original problem of breaking out into open flame.

I fail to see a Problem the by product of fire is smoke. A smoldering piece of wood is incomplete combustion and gives off Creosote as a byproduct and that is No Bueno. embrace the flame and save the foil for party hats.

OK. Thanks for the replies. To address some of them -

Yes, I used a water tray.

No, I'm not gonna buy another appliance.

One of the few negative comments in the reviews of this thing is that there's no lower vent and temp control while using charcoal is less than ideal. I was hoping to not go down that road but I will as a last resort. With the propane, temp control is excellent.

The wood sits in a tray above the burner, where the charcoal would go if that was the fuel. It's not in a direct flame. I have a good supply of wood (woodworking is one of my hobbies), in oak and maple. I can cut anything from sawdust or shavings to chunks of any size. I can experiment with that.

And lastly, if the wood does catch fire, does it still impart the smoke flavor? I know the smoke doesn't last very long, and it's white not blue. As for my first cook with it, I didn't notice any smoke flavor at all in the chicken. But that's probably because I had seasoned the Fark out of it with a poor choice of rubs.

I'm not ready to give up on this guy yet.

How about a smoke generator like Smoke Daddy or Amazen? You can still have propane control and nice smoke.

Back