Upgrading from 18.5 WSM -- shgould I get 22.5 or something else?

nickmv

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got an 18.5" WSM that's served me quite well the past 4 years or so. I've added a hinge kit to it, gasket for the top lid, and a notch for probes to snake through. I also use a HeaterMeter w/ 6.5cfm fan to control it. Other cookers are a Yoder YS640 pellet pit and a 22.5" Weber kettle grill.

The downside is the WSM is 18.5", and that just doesn't cut it for ribs and briskets, constantly barely fitting stuff. As such, I have been eyeballing the 22.5" model, but I'm completely open to other ideas.

My max budget is $500. I typically cook pork butts, briskets, ribs, and random appetizers on it. I'm pretty open to ideas on other smokers, but it'll require that I can use my temp controller and will require relatively even heat distribution across the grate.

Any recommendations, or should I just stay put? I know WSM owners will tell me to upgrade to 22.5, but I wanna hear non-owners' perspectives.

I'm sure someone will chime in and say PBC but you'll bet better off with what you have for brisket imo.

I'm a big fan of the Big Poppa Drum smoker, the thing is so versatile and just a fantastic cooker. You can do two grates by using the upper U-bolts, the basket nest raises up so you can grill, indirect cook, and sear.

Get it stainless drum, do a powder coat or porcelain coat and it will be looking especially nice. I've done some simple mods to mine like added casters, holy diffuser , and sealed up the intake sliders but that stuff is easy. Oh and I made a simple insert to hang ribs etc... If i don't want to grate cook

http://www.drumsmoking.com/drum-smoking-lounge/187-different-techniques-cooking-drum.html

Last edited:
I have had the WMS and it is a fine cooker. If you have the mechanical ability (easier than Legos) and time I recommend an UDS.

Simpler, cheaper, ability for more capacity and satisfaction of cooking on something you made yourself (assembled really just don't tell your friends).

What's the true advantage to the UDS compared to the 22.5 WSM?

Well the Big Poppa would be substantially different. If you built one it would be cheaper and you can customize it.

I understand the desire to increase cooking space, but I don't understand the issue of barely fitting a brisket on an 18.5. I've had to squeeze some between the handles now and then, but they always shrink up just fine. Also, I use a rib rack on my 18.5 and regularly cook 6 racks of spares.

I'm just saying, there are space issues and then there are space issues. Since you're here in Memphis, I recommend you go down to the Memphis Barbecue Supply store on Stage and see what Jimmy can do for you.

I understand the desire to increase cooking space, but I don't understand the issue of barely fitting a brisket on an 18.5. I've had to squeeze some between the handles now and then, but they always shrink up just fine. Also, I use a rib rack on my 18.5 and regularly cook 6 racks of spares.

I'm just saying, there are space issues and then there are space issues. Since you're here in Memphis, I recommend you go down to the Memphis Barbecue Supply store on Stage and see what Jimmy can do for you.

Not sure what you cook, but I go for 13-17lb packers. I don't mess around with brisket, and it always either barely fits or I have to trim the thin end just a tad. Ribs, well, I'd like to just lay em out. Bottom line -- I want more cooking space. It's not a satisfaction thing, it's a wanting more thing.

I was more curious about offsets, but something tells me I won't find a quality one for under about $700. In my ideal world I'd build a reverse flow offset DIY with a welder

Also, thanks for BBQ Supply rec. I've been there a few times, and I'll stop by sometime soon to see what pits he's got there.

Not sure what you cook, but I go for 13-17lb packers. I don't mess around with brisket.

Bottom line is I want more space. I was more curious about offsets, but something tells me I won't find a quality one for under about $700.

Also, thanks for BBQ Supply rec. I've been there a few times, and I'll stop by sometime soon to see what pits he's got there.

Yep, it is hard to find a good offset for under $700. I bet that has been asked a few times (offsets for under $1k) and the Google tab at the bottom of the page should have good reading.

Not sure what you cook, but I go for 13-17lb packers. I don't mess around with brisket, and it always either barely fits or I have to trim the thin end just a tad. Ribs, well, I'd like to just lay em out. Bottom line -- I want more cooking space. It's not a satisfaction thing, it's a wanting more thing.

I was more curious about offsets, but something tells me I won't find a quality one for under about $700. In my ideal world I'd build a reverse flow offset DIY with a welder

I don't cook any brisket under 15 lbs. If you fit both ends between the handles, you just pull the middle up. It will be off the grill, squeezed in, but as it cooks, it shrinks down and fits fine.

Where do you get your briskets here? I usually go to Southern Meat Market up here in Millington.

I certainly understand the desire for more space. I just think it's going to be really hard to scratch your particular itch in your price range.

I don't cook any brisket under 15 lbs. If you fit both ends between the handles, you just pull the middle up. It will be off the grill, squeezed in, but as it cooks, it shrinks down and fits fine.

Where do you get your briskets here? I usually go to Southern Meat Market up here in Millington.

I certainly understand the desire for more space. I just think it's going to be really hard to scratch your particular itch in your price range.

I grab em from SuperLO when possible. Sounds cheap, but they actually carry CAB-brand beef and usually have some whole packers in the back if you ring the bell.

I'm about to join KCBS so I can go into Restaurant Depot. Have you checked them out? I'm always looking for the best place and deal on brisket, since it's so expensive and hard to find good packers. I used to hit up Costco, but they a) stopped selling whole packers and b) charge like 6 bucks a pound. They're nuts, and I've called em out on it and they tried to tell me they had the best quality+price around, which is a USDA-graded 100% lie.

And yeah, understood on the price-space-performance thing. I just figured I'd toss it out there just in case something was better. I'll research the UDS a bit, but something tells me I'll be getting a 22.5WSM and selling my 18.5.

I know it's hard to believe, but this baby is NOT available in any store....she's homemade...and only cost about $50. She cooks a LOT of meat.....

Last edited:
I grab em from SuperLO when possible. Sounds cheap, but they actually carry CAB-brand beef and usually have some whole packers in the back if you ring the bell.

I'm about to join KCBS so I can go into Restaurant Depot. Have you checked them out? I'm always looking for the best place and deal on brisket, since it's so expensive and hard to find good packers. I used to hit up Costco, but they a) stopped selling whole packers and b) charge like 6 bucks a pound. They're nuts, and I've called em out on it and they tried to tell me they had the best quality+price around, which is a USDA-graded 100% lie.

And yeah, understood on the price-space-performance thing. I just figured I'd toss it out there just in case something was better. I'll research the UDS a bit, but something tells me I'll be getting a 22.5WSM and selling my 18.5.

You know, I've yet to go to Restaurant Depot and that's only because I only think of it when I'm on that side of town and I haven't had my KCBS card in the car. I now keep my card in the car, so the next time I'm out that way, I will stop in. I'm interested in comparing their prices to the meat market.

I haven't gone to SuperLO for brisket, but I have hit Cash Saver a few times. They also carry CABs.

On the subject of the Barbecue Supply store, last time I was there Jimmy told me he's going to start carrying the Napoleon smokers - those modular WSM-like ones. They are at about the same price point as a WSM, but they don't seem to have the same quality. I'm interested in seeing one in person, though.

You know, I've yet to go to Restaurant Depot and that's only because I only think of it when I'm on that side of town and I haven't had my KCBS card in the car. I now keep my card in the car, so the next time I'm out that way, I will stop in. I'm interested in comparing their prices to the meat market.

I haven't gone to SuperLO for brisket, but I have hit Cash Saver a few times. They also carry CABs.

On the subject of the Barbecue Supply store, last time I was there Jimmy told me he's going to start carrying the Napoleon smokers - those modular WSM-like ones. They are at about the same price point as a WSM, but they don't seem to have the same quality. I'm interested in seeing one in person, though.

Yeah I've seen those before on the web, and heard same feedback.

I don't suppose you know anyone looking to buy a WSM do you, or someone selling their 22.5? WSMs are rare to find for sale used.

Get a 22.5" if it's in the budget - 10 year warranty, porcelain coated so it'll withstand the elements, just as easy to run as your 18.5" and a lot more capacity.

I've got a home built drum smoker that I love but I'll take my WSM over it any day IF I had to pick one.

If you are willing to be patient, keep a close eye on Craigslist for an older Trailmaster or OK Joe offset. Most of the older ones are built with 1/4" plate and welded unlike the new ones. It would be worth the wait and easily under your $500 budget.

Or build a two rack UDS..... :thumb:

For $30 you can have this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FDOOOVO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432069303&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Weber+hanging+rack&dpPl=1&dpID=41Hooz1CI3L&ref=plSrch[/ame]

Then you could hang your meat. I bet you'd fit 2 briskets with that and several racks of ribs. I'm not gonna mention a PBC because really it's pretty close to the same size as your wsm, but hanging meat obviously works.....Get the best of both cooking styles too. :biggrin1:

Edit: Not sure why the picture isn't showing up, but the link does work

Back