Bean question

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ok, so I've done beans plenty of times...usually soak overnight, throw in a dutchie with a bunch of stuff (onions, peppers, etc.), and put under a butt or something.

we're having a Labor day cookout at work Friday, and sounds like someone will be bringing in a few yardbirds, and asking me to bring in my rotis to cook them. I was thinking of doing a batch of beans. I don't need a recipe--I'm generally happy with my bean process (I very rarely us an actual recipe for anything).

My thought was this...cook them ahead of time (sometime between now and Thursday), and on Friday, put them under the birds while they cooked to heat back through, and catch some drippings/flavor. I've got a few questions:
--how long do beans actually take to cook? They usually go under ribs or butts, and cook anywhere from 4-7 hours.
--There should be no food safety issues from leaving them under the chicken, right? I assume no, since the birds will be cooked through at the end. I cook veggies under my birds all the time, so I assume there's no issue with the beans doing the same.
--Would I need to have the beans hot before the birds go on, or would it be fine to take them straight from the fridge, onto the grill, and underneath? Not a problem if they need to be hot first...I can get the grill going early, and set the beans in there to start.
--Am I better off just grabbing canned beans, and throwing it all together and under the birds when I start them?

Thanks!

Fantom,
The safety question is a good one. Scientifically I believe the argument would be "yes, it could be a problem". If your beans are cold and the birds drop cool drippings into it, I believe the amount of time it would be in that state before heating up past the danger zone would be long enough to create a big problem. If the beans went in hot it would certainly help but not knowing the actual temps/time it'd still be hard to guarantee. If your intention is to do it... I'd probably put hot beans in under an almost cooked bird... IMHO

good questions. If it were me, for safeties sake I would buy beans and doctor them up.
Iv'e had beans not cooperate with me to many times, also I would make sure they were seasoned to taste and not add any thing during reheating, once again, safety.
If it was for me and my family, yah, do the live juices thing.

The times Iv'e done cooks for other people and I was doing beans I would reheat them on a side burner of some sort.

A pic of my last cook, open fire, the side burner is for the beans

veryfq.jpg

I'd also lean on the side of caution and not let the beans catch poultry drippings. Nothing like a case of food poisoning during a 3-day weekend.

If you can be bothered a good soaked bean cook beats canned every time.

I'd pre cook them like you normally do and use some bacon drippings for flavor (the smokier the better) then reheat covered. I wouldn't trust chicken dripping plus not sure of that flavor. Can the canned beans and do your own :thumb:

Just my .02 cents you understand :becky:

I have always thought nothing should go under chicken while it is cooking. Safe to cook anything above chicken but nothing below. Of course the mrs always reminds me I don't know anything...

I wouldn't do it!!!!!!! I've had food poisoning from chicken cross contamination a few times ( on someone else's dime) I'd sooner get castrated with a dull rusty knife with no anesthesia as to go through that again.
Toss a ham hock in the pot with the frijoles.

I am not a fan of letting chicken dripping hit anything else I am cooking... except maybe more chicken.

thanks for the input, everyone...I'll take your advice and not put the beans under the birds :thumb:

Back