Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Over the last few days, I have pretty much ignored my usual Q-Talk stalking, and devoted my attention to this particular thread. Man, what a ride. It makes me happy to see someone's dreams becoming a reality, and Jeremy has given us all a candid look into the in's an out's of the biz.

Im not a computer guy, so I don't know how much of a pain this would be, but I think that it would be extremely beneficial to have just his posts all put together in a thread. Other people contributed great comments and helpful info, but just looking at Jeremy's, it could be a how-to book.

Man oh man this thread reads like a James A. Michener novel. It took me 2 1/2 days to read it,but is so captivating I didn't want to stop reading it. I believe this would a make a great reality show for TV. It would be more entertaining than BBQ Pit Masters for sure . It has been nothing but amazing how well the whole project has been planned and how he is able to identifies the cause of a problem and fix it. The only thought;s I can offer are never loose sight of your dreams,take care of yourself and family, and never lower your standards. Best of luck to you and keep the updates coming. P.S. Maybe this thread needs to be titled : Birth of A Legend. LOL

Hoping to stop by this Friday on my way to Grand Rapids for a wedding. Going to be a long trip since I live down by the Ohio River, so a stop for some great BBQ will definitely hit the spot. Hoping to miss the lunch rush and get there around 1:30.

Will the Prized Pig be on campus this weekend for the Notre Dame - Texas football game? If so, please let me know where. Thanks!

To all the people giving you the advice to keep the lines going out the door, I agree. The mystique is part of the appeal. Aaron Frankin could sell his joint and get a much bigger restaurant, since he's world famous and all. But why doesn't he? Because the formula works. I think catering is probably a better way to expand with far less overhead. It looks like you're already doing that, so that's great. Just let everything naturally progress and stay patient. This is an epic thread BTW.

Over the last few days, I have pretty much ignored my usual Q-Talk stalking, and devoted my attention to this particular thread. Man, what a ride. It makes me happy to see someone's dreams becoming a reality, and Jeremy has given us all a candid look into the in's an out's of the biz.

Im not a computer guy, so I don't know how much of a pain this would be, but I think that it would be extremely beneficial to have just his posts all put together in a thread. Other people contributed great comments and helpful info, but just looking at Jeremy's, it could be a how-to book.

Here ya go.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3179169

I stopped at the Prized Pig on a Friday night back in the middle of August. And to my delight, they had burnt ends on the menu!!!! Best burnt ends I've had since I was last in KC about 10 years ago. The Mac and cheese was good. The baked beans, unfortunately, weren't my style (too much chili powder for me these days). My daughter loved the cornbread. I really needed some good Q after having another disappointing experience at a south central NY BBQ place a couple of weeks before. And this hit the spot!

I wasn't sure we were going to make it since we left the north side of Chicago at 4:30 and got there 30 min before they closed. Glad we made it!

I stopped at the Prized Pig on a Friday night back in the middle of August. And to my delight, they had burnt ends on the menu!!!! Best burnt ends I've had since I was last in KC about 10 years ago. The Mac and cheese was good. The baked beans, unfortunately, weren't my style (too much chili powder for me these days). My daughter loved the cornbread. I really needed some good Q after having another disappointing experience at a south central NY BBQ place a couple of weeks before. And this hit the spot!

I wasn't sure we were going to make it since we left the north side of Chicago at 4:30 and got there 30 min before they closed. Glad we made it!

woah, another guy from the southern tier! where are you located? and what restaurant are you talking about? i've hit up almost every place within an hour's drive from Binghamton

Wow. This read is going to take me quite some time, but can't wait to get into it! I agree with the comment that this would make a great reality show premise. I would totally watch it. Thank you for laying the foundation for others to perhaps pursue this same dream!

Holy cow! I finally decided to read this thread from start to finish and it has taken me a week to do it off and on throughout the week. I really love the support the BBQ community gives to one another. I started BBQing in 09 and I loved that no matter how bad things get in life you can always sit around the smoker with family and friends and it all doesn't seem to matter as much. I was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in 2010 and I thought my world was crashing down around me. And it did briefly. But I started back cooking for family and friends and it brought me back. I don't post here very often, but I look at the forums almost daily and it just amazes me the size of the hearts of the people on this board. I am definitely glad I found this site.:-D

Holy cow! I finally decided to read this thread from start to finish and it has taken me a week to do it off and on throughout the week. I really love the support the BBQ community gives to one another. I started BBQing in 09 and I loved that no matter how bad things get in life you can always sit around the smoker with family and friends and it all doesn't seem to matter as much. I was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in 2010 and I thought my world was crashing down around me. And it did briefly. But I started back cooking for family and friends and it brought me back. I don't post here very often, but I look at the forums almost daily and it just amazes me the size of the hearts of the people on this board. I am definitely glad I found this site.:-D

BBQ is definitely one of the finer things in life. It's my escape (with a little craft beer thrown in). I wish you the best of health.

woah, another guy from the southern tier! where are you located? and what restaurant are you talking about? i've hit up almost every place within an hour's drive from Binghamton
I'm in Apalachin.

The place was Fat Jack's up in Ithaca. Overall, the place wasn't too bad. But, after experiencing most the major BBQ joints in the KC area, I tend to have higher expectations. Very busy at dinner time on a Saturday night. Very good sides (both taste and portion size). But, the over cooked ribs we're a disappointment. Good flavor, they just wanted to disintegrate on contact. I'll give it another shot whenever I'm up that way again. Anybody can have an off day in the BBQ world.

I started reading this thread at some point last year, I'd check in once and a while to see what was happening. Then I moved on to other things and didn't come back until today. What caught my eye was a couple of posters mentioning The Prized Pig and it dawned on me that was the name of your BBQ joint in Niles, MI. Go figure.
Long story short I posted in the "Road Trips" section for BBQ for recommendations for BBQ along I80( I was helping my daughter drive back to Maine) the only one I got was for The Prized Pig. So on my daughter's 30th birthday we stopped and had an excellent meal. We both loved the brisket, pulled pork and the sausage. Potato salad was outstanding as was the corn bread.

This is our platter, after we started eating:icon_blush:
20150716_134551_zpsujzbpkgg.jpg

This was our 10 week old traveling companion on your outdoor table
20150716_140215_zpskua0d34v.jpg

You have a great place, we loved it.

I'm in Apalachin.

The place was Fat Jack's up in Ithaca. Overall, the place wasn't too bad. But, after experiencing most the major BBQ joints in the KC area, I tend to have higher expectations. Very busy at dinner time on a Saturday night. Very good sides (both taste and portion size). But, the over cooked ribs we're a disappointment. Good flavor, they just wanted to disintegrate on contact. I'll give it another shot whenever I'm up that way again. Anybody can have an off day in the BBQ world.

oh cool, you're not too far from me at all then!

as you know, bbq restaurants around here can be a letdown. i do like fat jack's though. i worked in ithaca last winter and ate there once a week. the sides were decent but after eating there so much i got bored with them. their sauces are kinda boring too, but this is the place that got me hooked on pork belly, i love their PB here. i've had hit or miss ribs here too but i usually had more hits than misses. are you on yelp at all? i'm on there as "Barbecutioner K", i've reviewed a ton of places

I started reading this thread at some point last year, I'd check in once and a while to see what was happening. Then I moved on to other things and didn't come back until today. What caught my eye was a couple of posters mentioning The Prized Pig and it dawned on me that was the name of your BBQ joint in Niles, MI. Go figure.
Long story short I posted in the "Road Trips" section for BBQ for recommendations for BBQ along I80( I was helping my daughter drive back to Maine) the only one I got was for The Prized Pig. So on my daughter's 30th birthday we stopped and had an excellent meal. We both loved the brisket, pulled pork and the sausage. Potato salad was outstanding as was the corn bread.

This is our platter, after we started eating:icon_blush:
20150716_134551_zpsujzbpkgg.jpg

This was our 10 week old traveling companion on your outdoor table
20150716_140215_zpskua0d34v.jpg

You have a great place, we loved it.

Beautiful pup! By the look his face, did you happen to forget to share your BBQ?:-D

Wow what a great thread! I'm in the planning phase of opening a small bbq joint in the next year and this is a wealth of information.

Keep us posted as you move forward. We're only 45 minutes from you. Can't wait for some GOOD Bbq (beside my own of course)!

Back